• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tax Policy of Gondor

Aldarion

Archmage
As can be seen from military organization, Gondor is in fact a centralized monarchy in the vein of Byzantine Empire. It remained a fairly centralized monarchy, with not a trace of feudalism to be seen. History is also similar: where Arnor fell apart into multiple kingdoms (echoing both barbarization of Western Roman Empire, and later division of Carolingian Empire into three kingdoms), Gondor endured. Much like Byzantium, part of reason for its endurance was that it was much less exposed: whereas Arnor had no major physical barriers between its core lands and Angmar, Gondor’s core lands were protected from Mordor by Anduin, and from wild men by the White Mountains. Similarly, Eastern Empire had its core lands protected by the Danube, Black Sea, and Taurus / Antitaurus ranges; and while Danube ultimately proved permeable, Bosphorus protected Anatolia.

Tax Policy of Gondor

Rexenm

Inkling
The elves, men and orcs are foreshadowed by the ents and the hobbits. It is as if the little folk have not the ears to hear, nor the eyes to perceive. As far as Gondor goes, I prefer Minas Tirith, because of its white tree. It would be foolish to compare its beauty to the book. However helms deep and the mines of Moria have little else to say but friend, when compared with the two. If I was to see Gondor and its horse lords fight a battle, it would definitely be between the two vastly different kingdoms of men. But alas, I have been watching Ivy and Bean, and my cat Gollum has disappeared behind the basketball hoop.