• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Crusades

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I will have several more articles about the Crusades, both the events themselves and the history of Outremer during those centuries. So I'm putting it all on one thread.

This one is on the Fifth Crusade,
Fifth Crusade
Each crusade is a strange, complicated event in itself, so it's a bit redundant to say this one is strange and complicated. Perhaps its distinguishing characteristic is that it's the closest any of the crusades came to being led by the Church.

If you are interested in previous articles, here is a link to the table of contents.
History by Ellis L. Knox

Let me know what you think, and feel free to ask questions!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I have a new essay at my history site
The Fall of Outremer
This one is about the last days of Acre in 1291. It's a dramatic story, both heroic and tragic.

This is the penultimate crusading essay. The next one will be on the Kingdom of Jerusalem itself (yeah, I know, it's a bit out of order). After that, I'll be offering essays on other aspects of the crusading era, but that doesn't exhaust my backlog. I have essays on other aspects of the Middle Ages, some on the Reformation, and even some on Greece and Rome.

You can find the Table of Contents for all published essays here
History by Ellis L. Knox

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I bet you thought after seven crusades that was all. Hah! Here's one that is often overlooked. It doesn't even get a good name. It's the crusade for everyone who blew off the First Crusade then thought oh crap we really should have done that and got the t-shirt.

The Crusade of 1101

As ever, the full list can be found here
History by Ellis L. Knox

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The history of the Crusades is most often told from the point of view of the Crusades. Well, duh. Sometimes there's a bit of context, especially when discussing the First Crusade, but It's tangential. Here I offer a look at the Byzantine Empire during the two centuries of the crusading era. Later essays will talk about Islam and various European countries over the same time span.

History by Ellis L. Knox

As ever, the full list of essays can be found here
History by Ellis L. Knox
and, as ever, questions are welcome!