• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Points Between: Contemporary Fantasy set in rural Virginia

Eviscerati.Org is the site where I do everything, but "everything" goes beyond the scope of this forum, so I'll focus on the fantasy thing.

On September 20, 2011, I started publishing a novel online in serial form. The Points Between is a contemporary fantasy that tells the story of a young painter who walks through a line of trees and finds himself... somewhere else.

This is a ridiculously painful project for me, because it's a) more complicated than anything I've ever tried writing and well beyond my level of comfort and b) I'm writing it in "real time" -- ostensibly I publish once a week, both on the web and with an accompanying podcast, but I'm currently running a week and a half late because each chapter has to be written and edited (to an extent) before publication. So this is "performance art" (very, very boring performance art) as much as it is writing, and carries with it a certain slow-motion, trainwreck-quality fascination. For me, at any rate.

It is, finally, an homage to the Inkling Charles Williams, easily my favorite of the bunch because his books were so magnificently weird conceptually and thematically that they blow my mind every time I read them. (Sept 20 is, not coincidentally, Charles Williams' birthday).

Anyway, it's not a fantasy inasmuch as it deals with dragons and elves, but it's a fantasy in that it deals with looking beyond the veil of the "normal" world and the dangers of experiencing the "unreal" one. And it's the only thing I'm currently working on that really fits the definition, so I figured I'd mention it here.

And now that I've talked it to death (without the use of any footnotes whatsoever, I might add), the link:

https://www.eviscerati.org/fiction/novel/points-between/points-between-chapter-00

Ailith

Minstrel
I just started reading Descent Into Hell, so when I'm done with that, I'll have to check out you Charles Williams homage.

What's your favorite novel by him?