• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Sovereign-Union, the morally ambiguous Empire of the Known Worlds.

I recognize and understand that I do, but that does not mean that all rebellions will subside. It could take a year it could take ten it could take one hundred, but eventually some group of natives will rise up and start fighting off their oppressors. It happens. The rebels will be smart enough to start reverse-engineering the weapons and tools and may be able to start killing their oppressors. Or they'll trade. See Shaka Zulu v. The British Empire. Or the American Indians vs. The British Empire and later the United States.

I will reiterate this one more time. I am not talking about the initial conflict and occupation. I am talking about the future, several years after the initial occupation, wherein people will be fighting for their own sovereignty. They will fight to determine their own destiny. That will not end. People will cling to their history and fight to restore it. They will rebel until utterly decimated or victory occurs. And if allowed to flourish again they will renew the fight. It is a part of humanity to fight. This could be a generations-long fight. Brush fires will occur over the years in various locations even if initial resistance is broken through the means and methods you outline above.

Well the Empire is morally ambiguous and willing to starve people out and planetary colonizations is also long term investment, they must preprepared to fight a long war in order to claim a planet and be willing to utterly devastate
indigenous populations.

"He who wants to protect everything, protects nothing".

That quote must hold a lot of truth for people conquering a planet. Establish one stronghold by air lifting in prefabricated buildings into and defensible location ideally far from the settlements of hostile natives. Then build outposts at strategic locations to keep the indigens away from vital resources and quickly respond to incidents. The pace of conquest would have to be a deliberate one, a region must be made reasonably secure before moving on to the next, however if they take too much time especially with more advanced cultures reverse engineering of their technology is inevitable.

So I see the Union putting their effort into building up there stronghold and primary colony on a captured world. While sending out routine strikes against the natives to keep them from being able to build strength.

Efigenia

Acolyte
So who produces and distributes the bulk of the goods necessary for everyday life? Clothing & shoes, pots & pans, lamps & windows. Who cleans the place? Fixes the plumbing? Drives the "truck" and "forklift" - whatever those look like in your universe? None of your guilds except Agriculture sound like they are full of the common working people, which make up the vast majority of the population.

Do men and women always marry someone in their own guild? Or do women join their husband's guild by default? What happens if a woman is widowed? Does she go back to her father's guild, or stay in her husbands? If she leaves, do her children go with her?

How do new guilds (or sub-guilds) get started? What happens when a guild's purpose goes away? Does it dissolve or change, or fall into destitution? Are there sub/guilds with an odd mix of "crafts" so to speak, due to merging or whatnot? Eg some modern labour unions. What happens if someone wants to change guild?

Are the guild's ranked, and if so how? How much of one's rank is dependent on guild? Are the most prestigious guilds also the wealthiest/most influential/etc., or are there interesting discrepencies? How do they maintain those attributes? What marks one part of the "in-group" of a guild - cultural values, rituals, clothes, hairstyles or body modifications, language, mannerisms, taboos?

Are the regulators buried within the guilds, or do the guilds have some ability to resist their interference when it isn't wanted?

Do guilds provide social services to their members? If not, who does? Eg if a man is destitute, who pays for his funeral? Who pays to support/educate his orphaned child? Who pays for his medical care? If someone needs a loan, do they go to a fellow guild-member, or to a guild that specializes in finance?

How do guilds settle their disagreements internally and with each other? Can a guild go on "strike" and refuse to buy/sell/serve another guild?

What does a guild dormitory look like - what makes it a dormitory vs. a quarter. Is private space at a premium or not highly valued? Do people eat together or separately? Who pays for children's education? Guilds will tend to expand and subside, have good times and bad, how does the physical space reflect that?

Are occupations highly geographically concentrated due to the guild structure? How does a small town get an electrician?

How long is apprenticeship and what is the intermediate step? What determines how high you rise within the guild? Money, influence (relatives, friends, masters, patrons), willingness to long endure a crappy apprenticeship? How strict are the social strictures on young people, how well do they succeed and to what extent do they have their own culture or society? Is there a guild-less class of young hellraisers out there?

How do people store and invest wealth? Land, gold jewelry, silver dinnerware, coins, fiat money, bonds, companies, patents, rights (eg taxi medallions), influence? Does everyone store it the same way (across class/gender/geography)?

Just some thoughts.

So who produces and distributes the bulk of the goods necessary for everyday life? Clothing & shoes, pots & pans, lamps & windows. Who cleans the place? Fixes the plumbing? Drives the "truck" and "forklift" - whatever those look like in your universe? None of your guilds except Agriculture sound like they are full of the common working people, which make up the vast majority of the population.

Do men and women always marry someone in their own guild? Or do women join their husband's guild by default? What happens if a woman is widowed? Does she go back to her father's guild, or stay in her husbands? If she leaves, do her children go with her?

How do new guilds (or sub-guilds) get started? What happens when a guild's purpose goes away? Does it dissolve or change, or fall into destitution? Are there sub/guilds with an odd mix of "crafts" so to speak, due to merging or whatnot? Eg some modern labour unions. What happens if someone wants to change guild?

Are the guild's ranked, and if so how? How much of one's rank is dependent on guild? Are the most prestigious guilds also the wealthiest/most influential/etc., or are there interesting discrepencies? How do they maintain those attributes? What marks one part of the "in-group" of a guild - cultural values, rituals, clothes, hairstyles or body modifications, language, mannerisms, taboos?

Are the regulators buried within the guilds, or do the guilds have some ability to resist their interference when it isn't wanted?

Do guilds provide social services to their members? If not, who does? Eg if a man is destitute, who pays for his funeral? Who pays to support/educate his orphaned child? Who pays for his medical care? If someone needs a loan, do they go to a fellow guild-member, or to a guild that specializes in finance?

How do guilds settle their disagreements internally and with each other? Can a guild go on "strike" and refuse to buy/sell/serve another guild?

What does a guild dormitory look like - what makes it a dormitory vs. a quarter. Is private space at a premium or not highly valued? Do people eat together or separately? Who pays for children's education? Guilds will tend to expand and subside, have good times and bad, how does the physical space reflect that?

Are occupations highly geographically concentrated due to the guild structure? How does a small town get an electrician?

How long is apprenticeship and what is the intermediate step? What determines how high you rise within the guild? Money, influence (relatives, friends, masters, patrons), willingness to long endure a crappy apprenticeship? How strict are the social strictures on young people, how well do they succeed and to what extent do they have their own culture or society? Is there a guild-less class of young hellraisers out there?

How do people store and invest wealth? Land, gold jewelry, silver dinnerware, coins, fiat money, bonds, companies, patents, rights (eg taxi medallions), influence? Does everyone store it the same way (across class/gender/geography)?

Just some thoughts.

The engineering guild cover a lot of sub-guilds, I was using the word engineer in the sense of its literal meaning,to fashion or devise.

Guilds aren't castes they are vocational fellowships, so people do not have to leave their Guild when they marry. As for who the child stays with, that would be determined either by the arrangement of the parents or the court.

On the subject of guild formation, I hadn't thought that out completely going off the top of my head I would say that the
Agricultural , Medical ,Entertainment ,Engineering , and Psionic are the only ones in existence. Sub-guilds form as disciplines grow prominent enough to be recognized as needing their own guild to represent them. Guild chapters are opened and closed to meet the needs of a region.

I didn't think of the guilds having their own ranking, though being wealthy would certainly be worth bragging rights if nothing else.
Giving every guild its own culture beyond the professional jargon that they use would veer to close to making the guilds a tacit caste system.

Guilds do have some level of internal arbitration, but the regulators are outside the regular guild system. Guilds could
no more resist them than U.S. citizen could resist the justice-department.

The guild provides everything to its members most of what we would call social services come from a persons guild. There are some state funded services public schooling is one of them. It wouldn't be guilds going on strike it would be workers, businesses
are extensions of their guilds and a individual store definitely could refuse to by from another store.

I saw most guild dorms as being small one bedroom apartments larger accommodations are available if the guild member in question is willing to have their guild dues increased, married guild members are also given larger accommodations.

Its the reverse actually, guild chapters are established as communities grow.

Looking at what I read about "apprenticeships" they last an average of seven years, after that a person is declared a journeymen
and they are licensed to work. Progressing to the rank of master and then the higher degrees of masterhood are done through skill assessments. Off the top of my head seeing as how the guilds are pillars of their society, then youth culture likely revolves around preparing to join a guild. I'd have to say that youth culture of japan is a passable analogy.

I really do not have an exact Idea of how the economy, the best answer that I have is it is different.