• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Wandering Inn

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
It does seem like a recipe for burnout.

But...she has a good system and its successful. That might go some way to giving the desire to continue it. I suspect she must pay those beta readers.
Her fans are incredibly dedicated. One of them apparently spent months coming up with (synthetic?) music for each of the characters, and others are continually producing vast quantities of free art for the site. The main weakness with these extras is the lack of quality maps.

The music list... (some seemed decent enough, but most didn't move me - maybe I'm too old)

https://soundcloud.com/systemglitchy%2Fsets%2Fthe-wandering-inn-soundtrack
The collected artwork -

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It must feel good to have fans that put in that work for you. I have two pieces of fan art for my stuff. I love them both. But most of it, I created myself.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
And she put up two more chapters, though one needs to be on 'Patrion' to read them, at least for now. Maybe that is how the Beta Reading works - those with access to Patrion get a looksee at the rough draft and opportunity for input.

Notes elsewhere on the site say she spent the past two months writing a three-volume spinoff that checked in at well over 200,000 words. And Amazon Kindle lists preorders for books 10 & 11...which is still far shy of reaching the end of the web version.

And she put up two more chapters, though one needs to be on 'Patrion' to read them, at least for now. Maybe that is how the Beta Reading works - those with access to Patrion get a looksee at the rough draft and opportunity for input.
Patreon is a fairly standard option for (indie) authors these days to make some extra money and give something back to dedicated fans. The main thing people offer is early access to material. Which indeed means posting rough drafts for people to read. It can be lucrative (plenty of Youtube channels are funded this way for instance).