• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tropes to avoid

Mad Swede

Auror
Question to all: how many of us have written The Chosen One, and how does your story challenge or subvert that trope?
Never. But then that sort of story doesn't really have a basis in Swedish culture, it's something which has come in from other parts of the world.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Question to all: how many of us have written The Chosen One, and how does your story challenge or subvert that trope?

This might need is own thread.

I think its hard to avoid the appearance of a chosen one, when a story has large impact and the character we follow kind of become the ones that have to handle it. Stories which don't set out to have a chosen one aspect, kind of gain that feel, even if the chosen one is intentional or not. A story that was always meant to feature a chosen one has a somewhat easier path to getting into the conflict and maintaining expectation that the MC will move at trying to solve the problem. They also have chosen one plot armor and chosen one aura, that can make them characters to follow, cause you know stuff is going to happen to them, and they are going to try and change things. But...they also run the risk of being Mary Sue's, so....mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Never. But then that sort of story doesn't really have a basis in Swedish culture, it's something which has come in from other parts of the world.
I have noticed this - but why do you think this is? I think I have some ideas as to why, but you know, I am not Scandinavian.

This might need is own thread.

I think its hard to avoid the appearance of a chosen one, when a story has large impact and the character we follow kind of become the ones that have to handle it. Stories which don't set out to have a chosen one aspect, kind of gain that feel, even if the chosen one is intentional or not. A story that was always meant to feature a chosen one has a somewhat easier path to getting into the conflict and maintaining expectation that the MC will move at trying to solve the problem. They also have chosen one plot armor and chosen one aura, that can make them characters to follow, cause you know stuff is going to happen to them, and they are going to try and change things. But...they also run the risk of being Mary Sue's, so....mileage may vary.
Nah, be fine in this thread 😉

I agree with that though. Sometimes I think stories worth writing are about interesting people doing interesting things. Maybe it’s because they’re the chosen one. They don’t know it yet, but that’s what the story will show you.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'm going to suggest that what you really mean is that this is from a US and British perspective. Writing this as a Swede (albeit a mad one) I can assure you that there are a number of story telling conventions here in Sweden whch arise directly from our culture and history, and they're not the same as some of those you find in the US or UK. It's not just a difference in style, it's a difference in structures, arcs and characterisation. It makes for a number of challenges when trying to translate (interpret, really) stories from Swedish to English as I and my editor have found.

Yeah, the delineations I gave are very broad and they very much lack nuance. I think something along cultural lines is probably better.

I found this an interesting comparisson about eastern vs western storytelling:

Now, these are only two examples, and a lot can be said about it. For starters, it very much generalizes both eastern and western stories to just 2 examples. But the general idea feels sound. Different cultures have different storytelling structures and ideas. And they're often old and so culturally ingrained that we take them for granted.

I’ve read a fair few modern Japanese fiction books, and the main difference is that they seem to be far more psychological and philosophical. Almost metaphysical.

Solusandra

Troubadour
People have been shouting that vampires are dead and that no one wants to read about them. And then Ann Rice proved them wrong. And then Twilight proved them wrong. The same with all other tropes.
it should be noted that vampire stories have a very solid love hate relationship with two rather specific audiences.
Women love LOVE vampire romances, especially tween and near menopausal women. Men, by in large, LOATHE them.
Men enjoy and tend to buy merch for vampire action combat/horror series. Women decry them as being "the cause of crime and abuse of women". Never mind that the vampire romances they fund heavily are inherently abusive.
At the core of the notion is that a trope is something that so many people have seen, they've grown tired of seeing it. Implied, and sometimes stated explicitly, is that because a particular thing has been written about so often, writing another is necessarily bad.
I thought tropes were simply a library of recurring themes, plots and plot points. That's how TVTropes.com defines them.
Love/hate that site. I go there to clairify an idea, and suddenly it's time for dinner. When I went in just after breakfast.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>I thought tropes were simply a library of recurring themes, plots and plot points.
That is the modern understanding; and by modern I mean since around 2005. There is a much older meaning to the word. BTW, the modern understanding is largely due to TVTropes itself. It is indeed a fascinating place in which to roam.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'd never heard of TV tropes till someone mentioned it here. Maybe a years ago or so.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
If I avoided all tropes some random video told me to avoid, I couldn't write any story anymore and I think this mindset is really restricting. People also say they hate the chosen one-tropes, but most of them still loved Avatar. So it depends how the trope is presented.

I'm creating and writing in a DnD world right now. It's classic high fantasy and very tropey at that, but these are also tropes I like, not only about the species but also about environments like floating islands etc.
Of course I automatically include my own style of writing and characterization. And it's very queer too, just because I am, but most folks don't bait an eye, so it doesn't end in queer and coming out dramas.

The only tropes I try to avoid are that I view as harmful, portraying every person of a group (gender, ethnicity etc...) as evil or dumb is one of that, also romanticizing abusive romances and similar stuff. That also includes tropes I just personally dislike like edgelord protagonists or the "but I can fix him!"-romance trope, or the "completely average guy gets an amazing woman"-trope for example.

That also includes tropes I just personally dislike like edgelord protagonists or the "but I can fix him!"-romance trope, or the "completely average guy gets an amazing woman"-trope for example.
Where would my love life have been without that one?

But you're right LOB. It's not the trope which is bad it's what you do with it.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
Where would my love life have been without that one?

But you're right LOB. It's not the trope which is bad it's what you do with it.

Ah sorry xD I didn't mean it like that, but I thought about couples like Hermoine and Ron. He's okay and all, but I don't see it. These things feel so forced.

Queshire

Istar
Alas, as far as Rowling is concerned, a happy ending requires babies and there were only so many viable pairings.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
Alas, as far as Rowling is concerned, a happy ending requires babies and there were only so many viable pairings.

Meeting new people aka and your partner in adult life is also a myth, you have to find your future husband at school. So you take whoever is still free.