• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Until the Sun Falls from the Sky

Lynea

Sage
I was wondering if y'all could answer a question that I can't seem to find the answer to elsewhere. There's this book by paranormal romance author Kristen Ashley, called Until the Sun Falls from the Sky. The female protagonist Leah Buchanan has all the tell-tale signs of a young adult age heroine (about 17-25) and yet in the third chapter it specifies that she's actually 40 years old. Naturally, it's hard for me to picture this and accept that she's outside the young adult 'range'. So, I was wondering if anyone knew if Leah is supposed to be half-vampire/half-human? It's the only thing I can think of that would make sense as to why she's '40' but behaves like a 20-something and has the inner monologue of an angsty teenager.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
From the Blurb

Leah Buchanan’s family has been in service to vampires for five centuries. Even so, Leah wants nothing to do with her family’s legacy. But when she’s summoned to her Selection by the Vampire Dominion, under familial pressure, she has no choice but to go.

Lucien has been living under the strict edicts of the Vampire Dominion for centuries but he’s tired of these ancient laws stripping away everything that is the essence of the vampire.

So he’s taking it back.

And this is because Lucien has been watching and waiting for decades for Leah to become available for a Selection and he will not be limited with what he can do with her. He will have her, all of her.

Therefore, Lucien is going to tame Leah, even if he gets hunted and killed for doing it.

What neither Leah nor Lucien expects is the strong bond that will form between them, connecting them on unprecedented levels for mortals or immortals. And what will grow between them means they will challenge their ways of life and their union will begin The Prophesies which makes them one of three couples who will save humanity… or die in the effort.

Sounds like she a mere mortal to me.

It’s a strange choice for a YA MC to be near forty, but, if it reads as YA then arguably does it matter? Unless it turns out that she is an immortal vampire after all.

Lynea

Sage
To me, personally, it matters. And it's such a kicker. I could keep on reading to find out, but I just can't get past this one detail... It changes the tone entirely.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Take a pen, and cross out 40 and write in 19.

It does make you wonder though, doesn't it. Why make her 40? And then not show her age a little. I dont mind 40 :)

Lynea

Sage
Or maybe I'll just have to wait until I'm 40 to read it so my brain can accept the image and not go 'ick!'

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Which part makes you go 'ick'? That she is 40? or that she is not acting her age?

I dont know, how many on tik tok act their age?

Lynea

Sage
Yes, it's definitely her age. Because the writing style is so typical of YA romance, I automatically pictured an MC in that age range. And then, during the first 'sex' scene, it drops the whole 40 thing, and then, I just couldn't picture a 40 year old MC getting with a vampire who appears to be in his prime- like 30s or so. Not that it's horrendous or anything, it's just my mind can't wrap around it.

Lynea

Sage
And, I figure that because this setting is about a family of vampire concubines, it stands to reason that there are half-breeds from said concubines, and that Leah is likely one of them. So, if that's the case, I can picture her being slower to grow up. But if it's not, then I can't keep reading onward. 🤷‍♀️

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ya know....Some 40 years olds are pretty attractive, and they know a few things. There are many I would be happy with.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Im gonna take a guess, the author was writing a controlling relationship, and wanted to avoid getting tagged with the MC not being old/mature enough to agree to it, so she made her older. But really, she's 19.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think the book is yawn anyway.... She needs to write about dragons, not vamps. Vamps are so....who cares.... I think mostly, they are cave pests.

Lynea

Sage
Im gonna take a guess, the author was writing a controlling relationship, and wanted to avoid getting tagged with the MC not being old/mature enough to agree to it, so she made her older. But really, she's 19.

Probably. There are other things that turn me off about it, but that's the biggest one.

I think I’d be disappointed too if I was reading a YA fantasy novel where I assume there are some scenes of a mature nature, and the MC is forty or so, only because it’s an odd choice. By the sounds of it the author portrays her as acting as though she is much younger, so we are talking about an immature half formed forty year old at best. I mean I’m not a ‘young adult’ myself anymore… but I have enjoyed reading some YA fantasy. All depends on the tone.