• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unused bowstring

Incanus

Auror
Hey good folks!

Does anyone happen to know if an unused (or very little used) bowstring would still be usable if it had sat undisturbed (like, say, in a dry cellar) for thirty years? Would the status of strung/unstrung make a difference?

From what I have picked up, a oft-used bowstring should be replaced every 2-3 years. But what about this unused string?

I would also assume different materials might result in different outcomes.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If it was a waxed covered string, and unused, and unstrung, I suppose I'd say, its plausible it would still be useful.

It would also think it might have become weaker for other reasons though, like rot and decay over time.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Is it a natural fibre or man-made material bow string?
I've got nylon[?] bowstrings that are 15 years old and still work fine.
I don't use them that often and never leave them strung on the bow unless I'm about to shoot.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I had a compound bow hanging in the garage for a decade+ undisturbed, and I took it out and shot it the other day. In a dry location and well-waxed, it feels plausible. Of course, critters could be an issue, but if unmolested by a mouse or some such, the main issue would be what the string is made of.

Mad Swede

Auror
Provided the bow string was waxed before being stored and was stored unstrung then it should be fine. For natural materials used in bow strings (like flax, silk, hemp etc) the two main enemies are dryness (which makes the string brittle and hence unuseable) and water (which ruins the string). Wax stops the string drying out and gives limited protection from damp conditions. You'd want to check the stored strings occaisionally and re-wax them when neccesary. Note that the cellar should be dark and dry but not too dry. Historically bow strings weren't stored for that length of time simply because archers needed to practice and/or use the bows.

Incanus

Auror
Thanks! That was fast!

I should have clarified one point--this would not be a modern weapon, but medieval. So, natural fiber. It would have been untouched in the thirty years by anyone. It's not a case of being stored, but abandoned, and then found thirty years after. So if it had been waxed, and then left that way, it might still be good (or goodish)? We'll say the dryness/wetness was more or less not extreme, and no critters.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'd call it plausible enough. I'd question it as a reader and then just move on. I'm not sure it can be answered definitively because there are a ton of variables, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks! That was fast!

I should have clarified one point--this would not be a modern weapon, but medieval. So, natural fiber. It would have been untouched in the thirty years by anyone. It's not a case of being stored, but abandoned, and then found thirty years after. So if it had been waxed, and then left that way, it might still be good (or goodish)? We'll say the dryness/wetness was more or less not extreme, and no critters.

Mad Swede

Auror
Thanks! That was fast!

It might be, but a skilled archer would probably only use the string until they could replace it with something newer and/or which they'd made themselves. A good archer would want to take a close look at the string before trying to string their bow with it - a bow string which breaks under tension can cause some nasty facial injuries, including blinding the archer in one or both eyes.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
No doubt you'd want to check it out. Of course, a string made for one bow just happening to fit another bow might be an issue as well.

I had a recurve bow break and that scared the shit out of me with the top coming for my head, LMAO.

It might be, but a skilled archer would probably only use the string until they could replace it with something newer and/or which they'd made themselves. A good archer would want to take a close look at the string before trying to string their bow with it - a bow string which breaks under tension can cause some nasty facial injuries, including blinding the archer in one or both eyes.

Incanus

Auror
Great. I can work with this.

Yes, the archer would definitely want to re-string. But for story-reasons, a new string won't be immediately available, so they would make-do. The weapon may or may not actually get used in the story (it's more of a prop for a particular plot point to develop).

Rexenm

Maester
An example of this; is toms midnight garden, a story in which a boy travels back in time, to meet with the house owner. She wraps a pair of skates, her skates, in some oiled paper, and they both go skating.. So I guess oil would be good, for a bow, but it’s the only answer I’ve got.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Most strings I've seen and used with my longbow have started over long and you tie them down to length.
So one string could fit another bow quiet easily. And it could certainly fit a small bow with retying.