• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What inspired your current novel?

Mr. Tolkien was the first fantasy I ever read as a child, so he will always get some credit. My current work was inspired by Treasure Island, Fight Club, and the movie Smokin' Aces.
It's called King Dogugorra the Mighty, but I toyed with the idea of calling King Dogugorra Must Die… I don't think I have quite the amount of action necessary to live up to a title like that though.

I was roleplaying with some friends and really liked the character I created, so I wanted to tell her side of the story. And it kind of just took off from there.

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
The idea for my current work just sort of popped into my head one morning when I was between sleep and waking. I had an idea for a character that I had been kicking around for months. One night I was thinking about a rough structure for a different idea and when I woke up, all the pieces to integrate this character and backstory into this structure just fell together. I grabbed my notepad and jotted down all the thoughts otherwise I would have surely forgotten.

Daeldalus

Dreamer
I actually had a dream where a guy with a huge bag over his shoulder jumped from an upper balcony of a house and then vanished mid-air, only to pop back up running on the other side of a wall. the guy standing next to me said that only a (I don't remember) could have pulled that off.

When I woke up I thought how cool it would be to have a world where all "magic" had to be contained within an object, a huge bag for instance, in order for it not to affect the world without the user's input. From there everything else kind of just fell into their places.

oyler44

Dreamer
To be honest, my inspiration for my book came from my son. I read him the Dragonlance books as a kid and he loved them, now he pretends to be a Knight of Solamnia with all his friends. Ahh teenagers...

I've built my fantasy world, destroyed and rebuilt my fantasy world several times over, learning from each stage, keeping the good and throwing out the bad. It's still not perfect, and the genre has changed from High Fantasy to Low Fantasy (taste changes with time, I guess) and has become a lot more cynical and critical of our world. But the world has become more realistic, more unique and more intriguing with every consecutive stage in the build-destroy cycle. I've attempted to write a novel several times but I usually lose interest after the first chapter(s) because I'm not entirely happy with my world. I'm a world-building perfectionist and quite frankly, world-building is half the fun for me. Sometimes, I wish I'd write more prose instead of lore but I'll keep re-imagining my world a bit longer.

Although my setting is in effect a fantasy mirage of Earth 1400 AD (with a smidgeon of Earth 1000 AD and Earth 1200 AD thrown in as developments in my world aren't parallel to ours). That being said, there are a lot of bigger and smaller differences and they really make the setting unique.

(So my inspiration comes from history and all the Fantasy books and games I've read or played. It's an ongoing effort feeding off the inspiration provided by dozens of works).