• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

what would you say to.....?

what would you say to a person that doesn't appreciate the art of fantasy :confused:?? how would you try to convince this person to try to read a fantasy book :confused:? write what would you say! ;)

Kelise

Maester
I've never really tried to get anyone to read 'fantasy' as a genre. I've tried to get people to read certain books - ones that I honestly think would entertain them specifically, by saying why I think they'd enjoy that particular book and why I enjoyed it myself and my favourite part (without spoilers) and so on - and then once they've enjoyed that and come back for another suggestion, I find more books for them to try. Soon enough, they're seeking their own books - that just happen to be fantasy.

TWErvin2

Auror
Select a fantasy novel you believe the individual will truly enjoy. Propose they read it while accepting to read a book in another genre they believe you will enjoy.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
um... I tried to get my husband to read A BOOK one time, but he flat-out said he doesn't read.....
I told him fiction is my way of leaving the real world for a couple days (if the book is long enough) and he should give it a go.
I failed, but whatever, I'll still enjoy it.

Dante Sawyer

Troubadour
Well... being a high school football player I'm pretty much the only person of my group of friends that reads at all... It's sad, but whatever. When I try to convince the only ones open to reading (and trust me, there are not many), I'd suggest to them to read something that captured my attention as soon as possible. The choice of novel should be something you enjoy, because if you didn't love the novel to begin with--well how the hell are they (a person or persons who do not read fantasy...or at all) going to enjoy it at all?