• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bitter memories

Jabrosky

Banned
Around four years ago I became friends with this young artist on DeviantArt who shared a lot of common interests with me. We appreciated each other's art, drew each others' characters, and followed each other not only on DA but on Facebook and tumblr. For most of these years I considered this sweet little lady among my best friends ever and wanted more than anything else to keep that friendship.

Unfortunately as this girl spent more time blogging on tumblr, the opinions she expressed grew progressively more toxic. She started calling people of European descent "crackers", claimed they could never wear non-European clothing since it was "cultural appropriation", and said she didn't trust white tourists visiting other parts of the world because they were "fetishizing" (she was of mixed ancestry herself but identified as African-American), among other borderline anti-white statements. Ironically, this same lady drew a lot of white male/black female couples before she started her blogging, but I can't see her doing that now with her current attitude towards white people.

After growing sick of my friend's degenerating worldview, I told her it was time to cut ties and go our separate ways. In response she typed up a long rant about how she actually hated my guts and only tolerated me because she "didn't want to sound ungrateful" for the tokens of friendship I had given her. This happened last November and we have never corresponded since.

I should probably move on with my life and forget about this ex-friend, but memories of her keep stinging back. Whenever I encounter a statement on the Internet that would agree with her politics, I can't help but remember that toxic gas bag. Seeing as our political beliefs used to overlap so much, that means I think about her far more than I should.

The most painful lesson I've learned from this experience is that even the people you consider your best friends don't last forever.