Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question of scale

In a meadow full of flowers and plotbunnies.
    Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skip.knox View Post
    And that's part of the thing here. Are a giant's proportions the same as human proportions. Which is another way of saying you can probably get away with making the hand disproportionately large to achieve the effect you want.
    I do intend for my giants to have human proportions, yes. (With the Square/Cube Law being somewhat handwaved because I'm obviously dealing with non-humans in a fantasy setting.)

Quote Originally Posted by skip.knox View Post
    Wonderful image. Does the troll's hand really stretch from his knee to the ground? That's what it looks like to me.

And that's part of the thing here. Are a giant's proportions the same as human proportions. Which is another way of saying you can probably get away with making the hand disproportionately large to achieve the effect you want.
    Thanks, skip. The hand is closer to the camera, but, yeah, I think the modelers made the hand disproportionately large. They created the creature, which they called an Ogre, at a normal height of eight feet. I scaled it up to twenty feet without changing any proportions of the hands or other appendages.

Many images of giants show them as quite bulky. They have to be muscular to hold up all that weight. They might also need long arms/hands so they can more easily pick up things without having to bend their bulk so far over.
    "The truth doesn't matter. What people believe matters."

Ireth, another way to see it would be to imagine yourself as the Elf instead of the Giant.

You have stated that the Giant has the normal body proportions that we have, so we can know exactly how large his hands would be in comparison to your 1.63 meter of height. I don't know what is the length of your hand, but let's say that it's 15 centimeters. That means that your hand is 0.092 of your height.

Then, with the same proportions the 6 meter tall Giant's hand would be 55.2 centimeters long.

What a huge hand, but it's not enough to wrap itself all around you like you were a rat or a toothbrush. You can draw this 55.2 centimeter hand on paper or cardboard, and that would give you a better idea of how the Elf would feel and what kind of interactions could happen between both characters.

There are more dramatic interactions seen in Gulliver's Travels (first between Gulliver and the 15cm tall Lilliputians and later between Gulliver and the 18 or 20 meters tall inhabitants of Brobdingnag), but the difference in size is much larger than the one that you are talking about.

Is the Giant friendly?
    Imagination fills my Soul with Magic. - Sheila Wisz Ellayn.

4. Thanks Ireth thanked for this post
    In a meadow full of flowers and plotbunnies.
    Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilawisz View Post
    Ireth, another way to see it would be to imagine yourself as the Elf instead of the Giant.

You have stated that the Giant has the normal body proportions that we have, so we can know exactly how large his hands would be in comparison to your 1.63 meter of height. I don't know what is the length of your hand, but let's say that it's 15 centimeters. That means that your hand is 0.092 of your height.

Then, with the same proportions the 6 meter tall Giant's hand would be 55.2 centimeters long.

What a huge hand, but it's not enough to wrap itself all around you like you were a rat or a toothbrush. You can draw this 55.2 centimeter hand on paper or cardboard, and that would give you a better idea of how the Elf would feel and what kind of interactions could happen between both characters.

There are more dramatic interactions seen in Gulliver's Travels (first between Gulliver and the 15cm tall Lilliputians and later between Gulliver and the 18 or 20 meters tall inhabitants of Brobdingnag), but the difference in size is much larger than the one that you are talking about.

Is the Giant friendly?
    Most of them are. Given this story is based on Snow White, one of them is inevitably modeled after Grumpy. But she doesn't interact with the MC as much physically, and she is going to warm up to him by the end. The one who does the most physical interaction with him (the one modeled after Doc) is definitely friendly.

My gut reaction without thinking is that it's not quite enough of a size difference to make this reasonable, but it's not impossible if you want to stretch things.

An average full-grown housecat is 18" long without the tail, which is about 1/4 of a 6' tall person. Even without the squirminess factor (assume a willing subject), picking up a grown cat in one hand, held out vertically like that, would be very awkward at best and not easy to hold for long even if you managed it. Holding it horizontally with a hand cradled under it is comparatively easy.

If your giant has non-human proportions (oversize hands, etc) then the vertical grab might work okay.

7. Thanks Ireth thanked for this post
    Hi,

Why not do as Michael did but with four humans standing on top of one another and another beside them in the same pose as the four humans but standing as high as all four. Then you can see for yourself.

Cheers, Greg.

9. Thanks Ireth thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12