• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elizabethan Compendium of Common Knowledge

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I ran into this a few years ago and have printed a copy for my bookshelf. This is a wonderful collection of miscellaneous information, intended for re-creators of Elizabethan England, to promote a certain authenticity to their characters.

That being said, however, a lot of the information is useful as a writer, because it talks a little about everything, from games to terms of address, to currency, and so much more. It has a valuable insight into liveried servants, laws, households, and much more that can be adapted to inspire fantasy.

One of the things I appreciate most is that it's well-researched. As an SCA member and Ren Faire actor, I'm constantly battling the common misinterpretations people have of history and though in fantasy, accuracy is a secondary consideration, it's always nice to know you're reading research rather than opinion.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I have!

Life in Elizabethan England: A Compendium of Common Knowledge

Ruby

Auror
Hi Caged Maiden, thank you for posting this. I particularly like the entry about education during this period. Do you know if there is a similar compendium that deals with life in Victorian England?