• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are You Creative in Other Ways?

Obviously my main creative pursuit is writing novels, but I have other outlets.

My professional work requires me to construct large documents for a higher education institution.

I write a blog on all sorts of stuff that interests me.

I write analysis pieces for a commercial football website.

I write, record and publish music with friends.

I paint.

All of these activities add to my perspective and capacity to create.

What else do you do to enhance your schtick?

Ooh what do you paint?

I’ve always been on the more creative side of the spectrum. I do have a more logical side to my brain but I followed a path and now I’m kind of down the rabbit hole. Sometimes I feel like it would have been easier if I’d had just a solid more logical career path in mind when I was younger but I had little guidance and fumbled my way through my twenties, and I’m still doing a lot of fumbling. I envy those who chose one thing to do and just do that one thing well and have a solid job to be honest.

Ooh what do you paint?

I’ve always been on the more creative side of the spectrum. I do have a more logical side to my brain but I followed a path and now I’m kind of down the rabbit hole. Sometimes I feel like it would have been easier if I’d had just a solid more logical career path in mind when I was younger but I had little guidance and fumbled my way through my twenties, and I’m still doing a lot of fumbling. I envy those who chose one thing to do and just do that one thing well and have a solid job to be honest.
Jeez, don't envy me then.

I've been all over the place my whole life.

Couldn't finish anything... unsuccessful rock star (three years)... went to uni, then scattergun... writing has been moderately successful and people like my paintings (despite my obvious lack of technique)... and finally people seem to like my music despite me being far too old to be a rock star.

If I knew what I know now, when I was 22...

Not_Alice

Scribe
I'm a LARPer. The whole family are. Which means I do all sorts of sewing and crafting. From simple dresses to a quiver for my daughter's archer character, or a leather armor for my son... anything, really. I suck at drawing, but I occasionally produce very bad cartoons about English words which exist with the exact same spelling, but a completely different meaning, in German.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Elsewhere on the website some of my drawings can be seen. Ban's art extravaganza bonanza!

Other than that, I am creative in the kitchen. I am blessed to be good at imagining food pairings in my head, leading at times to some great culinary concoctions.

I'm a LARPer. The whole family are. Which means I do all sorts of sewing and crafting. From simple dresses to a quiver for my daughter's archer character, or a leather armor for my son... anything, really. I suck at drawing, but I occasionally produce very bad cartoons about English words which exist with the exact same spelling, but a completely different meaning, in German.
Shouldn't you be Nicht Alice?

Mad Swede

Auror
I suppose my whole choice of career needed and enhanced my creativity. As a military officer you have to be able to think on your feet, especially when under stress in combat. You've got to be able to come up with creative solutions which will work. That's also true in military planning, where the ability to come up with a plan which is subtely different from previous ways of conducting similar operations allows you to surprise the enemy without making it a complete mystery to your subordinates when in combat. These days I work for a major transport company, solving the daily operational problems. I guess my creativity is enhanced by my ability to structure and solve problems.

To should or not to should, that's the question.
My old German teacher at high school used to tell the story of a German woman who got sick of waiting at an English greengrocers and loudly complained: " I have been here since five minutes! When do I become a carrot?"

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I have always been creative.

In high school, I was very much in to painting and drawing, and even won awards in some contests with it. But....one day it just left me, and I never picked it up again.

I was a stage actor for a while, and got an award there too for my portrayal of Northumberland in Richard the II. Who'd of thought? But I stopped doing that when college ended.

I play many instruments. I started on the Piano, but now mostly play guitar, cause its small and fits in my house. I can play a smattering of all the great ones :) Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Nirvana... And some lesser stuff. I was a pro at You are My Sunshine long before it came back into fashion.

And I write and make up stories.

When I have choice, I usually choose to create instead of just appreciate.

My old German teacher at high school used to tell the story of a German woman who got sick of waiting at an English greengrocers and loudly complained: " I have been here since five minutes! When do I become a carrot?"
Sounds like something my grandmother would have said ☠️

Was she German, or just an irate and confused Yorkshire woman (like my grandmother)?
She was Austrian…and ensured people knew she was Austrian not German 😅 and she would say things that didn’t translate that as a child I thought funny. Irate Yorkshire woman? There’s a lot of those about where I live…

Not_Alice

Scribe
She was Austrian…and ensured people knew she was Austrian not German 😅
Hey, that's an important distinction! We can't go round letting people believe we're Germans. 🤣 (Though I'll be honest here and say I don't care that much anymore. Been living in Germany for about 15 years now, with a German husband and kids with dual citizenship.)

She was Austrian…and ensured people knew she was Austrian not German 😅 and she would say things that didn’t translate that as a child I thought funny. Irate Yorkshire woman? There’s a lot of those about where I live…
I have a German uncle (Adolf) - and yes, he was named in honour of Adolf, and was a very young member of the Hitler Youth. (Alle Zehnjahrigen mussen in Die Hitler Jugend!) Still alive but quite ancient now.

He escaped from East Berlin in the early 60s and came to Australia, where he married my aunt. He's utterly charming, when he's sober. When he's not... well, the name Adolf is appropriate.

Hey, that's an important distinction! We can't go round letting people believe we're Germans. 🤣 (Though I'll be honest here and say I don't care that much anymore. Been living in Germany for about 15 years now, with a German husband and kids with dual citizenship.)
She was pretty adamant I think because she moved to England with my grandfather post-war, and she’d get a lot of racism from the locals who’d lovingly refer to her as ‘the German’. Both Germany and Austria are lovely countries!

I have a German uncle (Adolf) - and yes, he was named in honour of Adolf, and was a very young member of the Hitler Youth. (Alle Zehnjahrigen mussen in Die Hitler Jugend!) Still alive but quite ancient now.

He escaped from East Berlin in the early 60s and came to Australia, where he married my aunt. He's utterly charming, when he's sober. When he's not... well, the name Adolf is appropriate.
Uh oh we don’t talk about that 🫢