• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are You Using Pinterest?

Ned Marcus

Maester
Is anyone here actively using Pinterest? I've had an account for ages but have just started using (a bit).

How is working for you? I'd be especially interested in how you use it and how you write the descriptions. I'm not sure which direction to go with them as fiction is very different to nonfiction in this situation.

I’ve probably had mine for 10+ years and use it for inspiration which is what it was intended for - not using it for my writing nor do I use it to find books.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I use it for inspiration. I get an email (a little too often) with pics they think I'll like, and there's some good art and infographics. But that's about it. I don't even use it to search for pictures - I use google, which might send me to Pinterest.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I use if for inspiration too. I have a secret board for that. But many people use it to plan their purchases on, so I think there's marketing potential. I want to explore the free uses before thinking of advertising.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We also use it for inspiration pics, but it's a huge timesuck so I have to use a timer or else I'll play with it half the morning. :D

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Pinterest sometimes comes up for me when I am searching for handmade things or art....like a pic for the caption this thread. Both that and Etsy are ones I don't like to land on. I find they have pop-ups, and tools suppressed, and clicking takes me places I dont want to go. Its one of the sites, I tend to avoid.

If you want to use it as a marketing tool for your writing, I think you’re only going to appeal to a YA audience, and you’d have to be use an image heavy strategy.

Ned Marcus

Maester
If you want to use it as a marketing tool for your writing, I think you’re only going to appeal to a YA audience, and you’d have to be use an image heavy strategy.
I think not only YA, but certainly I'd need to use a lot of images. That's just what it is. It's taking me time to create and find enough images to do this with.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I won't say to use Pinterest or not for promotions. I might've been more confused about how you'd do you images for a book before AI images were an option. It would typically be pictures of quotes, and most books just aren't that quotable. With AI you can try to depict scenes or characters from the book, which is more interesting.

But, I will say that if you're trying to use Pinterest because you're running through a list of social media places to advertise, I think you're better off sticking to maybe two platforms, rather than spreading your effort too thin.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I won't say to use Pinterest or not for promotions. I might've been more confused about how you'd do you images for a book before AI images were an option. It would typically be pictures of quotes, and most books just aren't that quotable. With AI you can try to depict scenes or characters from the book, which is more interesting.

But, I will say that if you're trying to use Pinterest because you're running through a list of social media places to advertise, I think you're better off sticking to maybe two platforms, rather than spreading your effort too thin.
AI changes everything. No way could I afford to create so many beautiful images without it. It just wouldn't happen. Without AI, I don't think Pinterest could work for a fiction author, unless you're already an artist. I do exactly what you say about depicting scenes from my books.

I partly agree with your second point. It's inevitable that people will have preferences and places online where they're more comfortable and better. But I think that publishing 8-12 pieces of social media content a day will increase the chances of success, and the more places the better. I'm not there yet. I'm building up to it. At the moment, apart from my blog (which isn't social media anyway) I'm only active on a few channels. I plan to increase this.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I'm not going to Pinterest to look at AI art.
I don't think that's the point. I understand you don't like Pinterest. That's fine, but a lot of people do like it. The images are there to inspire people, and are often used to inspire purchases. I'm a beginner on Pinterest, so am slowly working it out.

I use a mix of AI-generated images and images created by people.

PunkRoar

Acolyte
I don't use Pinterest to promote or increase the visibility. However, I do use it to get some inspiration.

Interesting, Pinterest seems to have removed certain key words from being searched for including ‘AI’. I could be wrong. Might be just the UK version.

So upon a further look, Pinterest have indeed blocked certain keywords, including AI images, so if I were you, I’d check on that if you’re wanting to use it for marketing purposes.

Ned Marcus

Maester
So upon a further look, Pinterest have indeed blocked certain keywords, including AI images, so if I were you, I’d check on that if you’re wanting to use it for marketing purposes.
I'll use it as long as they'll let me. At the moment, they've made no statement, that I can find, prohibiting AI-generated art. In fact, Pinterest seems to be full of it. The AI art I've pinned is still there. If they change in the future, I'll adapt, of course, but this is all very uncertain.