• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Art is not media

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Kids are wonderful and brutal on a person's time. I've finally got one in college and working, but somehow, she still eats my hours, LMAO. I know a couple of families with 3 kids under five, and I have no idea how they do it. "I'm too old for that shit" comes to mind every time I see them.
Ha! A thought I have to bare-knuckle batter down fortnightly, the unhelpful, petulant, intrusive thought that it is. Especially with number three on the way.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm always simply in awe of anyone who can do this with kids. I've helped to raise a few, and there are things I do know. Two kids means two hands. You've got this. Three kids... one is now always out of direct control. The spawn have now achieved nuclear capability.

And still you guys make pages.

The one we had the most care of, my sister's son, just started college! *drops down in a football thankyou* We have literally crossed the line to advisor status and he's got the wheel.

He's already thinking of changing his major.

I'm always simply in awe of anyone who can do this with kids. I've helped to raise a few, and there are things I do know. Two kids means two hands. You've got this. Three kids... one is now always out of direct control. The spawn have now achieved nuclear capability.

And still you guys make pages.

The one we had the most care of, my sister's son, just started college! *drops down in a football thankyou* We have literally crossed the line to advisor status and he's got the wheel.

He's already thinking of changing his major.
***barely suppresses four paragraph breeder post gushing about children, the woes and triumphs, etc...

Thanks! You're so very kind. 🤐

Having children is pretty much what started my writing hobby. I had ideas for stories before, but never actually believed that I could actually write a book, plus I was more active at doing other things. Now with restrictions on my free time and not being able to do as much as I used to do, I appreciate that writing really takes very little resources to do - I can just get my phone out and open the notes app if I feel inspired, or in the evenings I can put some music on and sit on my laptop for a bit and write. Amidst the demands of parenting I have found creative writing to be a very relaxing creative outlet, plus it keeps my brain from turning to total mush.

Going back to the subject of the thread, I do honestly think that ‘trial by media’ and the generally toxic nature of it all is the single most damaging thing to happen to creative freedom today.

Queshire

Istar
Nah. Unless I'm mixing up my Camus'es then he's the same guy behind the philosophy of Absurdism. It uses the myth of Sisyphus to explain its points and ultimately ends with that saying. In such an absurd situation such as being stuck eternally rolling a stone up a hill only to have it fall down again the only true form of agency one has is to be happy in spite of it.

Nah. Unless I'm mixing up my Camus'es then he's the same guy behind the philosophy of Absurdism. It uses the myth of Sisyphus to explain its points and ultimately ends with that saying. In such an absurd situation such as being stuck eternally rolling a stone up a hill only to have it fall down again the only true form of agency one has is to be happy in spite of it.
In the case of laundry and washing dishes, I can't fault the truth in that.

I’ve only licked the surface of Camus’ Absurdism, but the metaphorical use of Sisyphus is comical.

I read his ‘The Stranger’ a while back.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
As far into philosophy I got was St. Augustine. "Give me chastity and give me constancy... just don't give them to me, yet."

Followed by, "Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Also, my Latin has always sucked.