• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bard magic

SeverinR

Vala
My current MC just turned to Bardic studies.

My world:
Magic-3types;
arcane, religious, mental(psi)

The way I am working bard magic is the bard music is based in arcane or religious magic(or combonation of the two even) Much like a wizard uses a wand to strengthen his magical power the bard uses music(instrument or voice).
Bards use simple arcane magic, and might even be mistaken for a future mage, but their power is focused in music, not arcane magic.
Bard magic is less powerful individually, but more powerful group wise.
Voice alone is less powerful then combined with instrument. If the bard can sing of course(being a bard does not guarantee ability/voice to sing.) Nor does it guarantee the ability to play a given instrument.
Bard must know how to play the given instrument to get full effects.
Bards must know for the most part the song before hand. Some might be able to make up a song as it happens but again it would be weaker then the prepared version.

The bard inspires people persons emotions.
relaxation, healing(limited), motivational, inspirational, aggression, happiness, And their opposites.
probably slowing the effects of poison or disease, with more powerful bards curing them in some cases.
Mixing of above in a prepared song will combine effects.
example:Relaxation and healing being better then either single.
aggresion and motivational could motivate the crowd to riot.

The stronger the Bard the more influencial the music becomes. The MC finds herself playing her gemshorn in front of an audience. Which she told the bard she would not do that night.(self conscious, so it didn't go against a core belief.) The bard played a song that encouraged the audience to do something they were reluctant to do. Before she played she did notice others doing things they wouldn't normally do at a party. ie her week old dragonet tried to fly, a new dragonrider climbed on his dragon to fly.

The musical instruments do not have to magical, although magical instruments can increase the range or power of the song.

Any suggestions or quetions to make it better or more real?

oh, just to let you know, she decked the bard while the audience applauded her playing. Not for the reason you think. She was mad because the bard made the dragonet try to fly.(Her bonded dragonet is only a week old) (Newly bonded are very protective. even more so when the bonded is a baby.)

fcbkid15

Scribe
It sounds pretty good to me. I have a type of magician in my story that can cast spells by playing their music.