• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"But it doesn't happen on Earth!" or "But it's a fantasy!"

Helio,

A lot of this depends on the book in question and simply whether the awesome thing fits. Whether it fits in general and whether it fits in the story at the particular point you are inserting it.

The idea about a winged human giving birth while falling might easily fit within a fantasy world but might be entirely wrong for the book. I think DOTA mentioned that the character who'd be dying is a secondary character. Maybe having something that stretches the bounds of believability, something that awesome (or wondrous), happen with this character would be out of place and beside the point for this character.

Maybe having an overabundance of awesome things happen, like every chapter or even every scene, would be too much. You want to save the Battle for New York, with a portal opening in the sky and aliens appearing, until the end of the Avengers movie. Meanwhile, many scenes of that movie involve standing/sitting around and talking. So pacing matters too.

I guess I'm saying that we pick our battles with reality according to what works for the tale we are telling.

So maybe that birth scene would be absolutely wrong for the book.

But what to do with the awesome idea?

Maybe we could use it in a way that doesn't draw the same kind of scrutiny, transplant it elsewhere. The tale of birth might be a tale about the birth of a legendary hero, a historic founder, a demigod or a god in that world. This might fit rather well, considering the fact that these winged humans ... are winged. :cool: If Athena can be born from Zeus's head, then our winged humans might have a story about a legendary figure being born as his mother is falling to her death.

Or maybe we can transplant the myth to the present: The death of this secondary character occurs off screen, but our MC encounters tales of her death. So it could become like an urban legend. One old woman says she saw the murder; the poor mother gave birth to her child while falling and was trying to grasp the babe, pull it close, to protect it. It was a horrible, horrible thing to see. Another person says, No, the babe was rescued and is now being hidden away somewhere. Another: It's the return of Yosep, the legendary hero of yore who was also born that way. The point of these tales would be to show how the tragic murder is causing reverberations through society; its "realism" is largely beside the point.

So. I think that eliminating an idea simply because it stretches credulity—i.e., our own credulity because we've never heard of such a thing—preemptively shuts down so many potential paths before those paths are explored.

As an aside, the interesting thing about this topic is how the two options in the title of this thread aren't enough. There's also, "It happens on Earth—But don't do it!" Our own Earth is full of wonder and awesomeness and strange things. I don't have personal experience with LOTS of things that happen on Earth.

Last edited:

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, i really feel like we are arguing the same thing here. I don't think I'm making myself clear at all maybe?

All of what you said above is exactly what I'm saying.

You wanted to know why I kept coming back to "but that's not how birth works" in that other thread.

Because given the information I had about the story and the circumstances it came off hokey to me.

However, given the circumstances you gave above, it might work.

This is exactly what i've been saying. If you want to use a wonderous idea, do it. But make sure it works in the circumstances of the story. How is that any different then what you are saying?

But it still needs to be set up. We believe Athena could be born from Zeus's head because we know they are Gods who have done all sorts of other wonderous things, and so it is not a huge stretch.

If I didn't have that back story, and I didn't know they were Gods, and I didn't know any of the other wonderous stuff or mythology I may not believe it. But it is so culturally ingrained in us that it makes sense. The same could work for birth in midair.

And I really don't understand how it shuts down paths? I've basically said this entire time to open up those paths. Do those things. Make it bigger. Make it more strange and wonderful.

But make sure it works within the reaches of the story.

Last edited:
Helio: Aren't we in agreement about 98% of the time, anyway?

I do think we are approaching the issue from slightly different perspectives, but that we aren't in great disagreement. Part of this is my problem, because the notion that "But—Fantasy!" is wrong when used as an excuse....is low-hanging fruit to me. :D So it seems like a thread meant to swat down the obvious or prop up the obvious (depending how you look at it.) And I have a tendency to desire to drill down on an idea, exploring various issues it raises (for me personally), and seeing what I can learn. I like scrambling for that higher fruit.

[Edit: Going higher by drilling down. I just noticed that.]

Still going on about my midair birth thing?

I could make something unbelievable like that work. But, there's no real reason to. I don't have to have her die in a super dramatic way, the main thing is to kill her. I think the necessity of the unbelievable thing has a lot to do with how believable it will seem. If I had something like this happen in a minor scene with no explanation, it would be different from if this was a pivotal point in the story (with plenty of setup and explanation.)

Also, I'm going for as much realism as possible. A close grasp on realistic details and obeying actual laws. Yes, I've already broken them by giving people wings but if everything I build on top of the people with wings is realistic and makes sense, it will be less objectionable.

I'm working on a set of folklore tales for my world, though, and this might work well for a larger-than-life, Paul Bunyan-type folklore character...

ASOIAF is one of the most popular fantasy series out there and the catastrophic winters that take place would essentially wipe out the population. So needless to say they aren't remotely realistic. This doesn't keep fans from reading and enjoying the series.

To answer the question, I keep a lot of stuff mundane that isn't the focus of the story. Unless cultural customs are very different than what we have in our world, I'm not going to do anything more than describe them as they take place and not give a reason why it is that way, unless it's just a tidbit of info. that can be slipped in.

I guess my mindset is "Here it is", without needing to say why all that often. I'm not a fan of info dumps and other long-winded exposition that causes the passing of time to come to a screeching halt. I prefer putting vital information into the dialogue.

Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I think this is an overblown interpretation of their winters... at least when not including the Others and hordes of dead, heh heh. All we've really seen of winter is hyperbole in the books. It isn't some instant ice age out of Frozen covering the entire continent, speaking of which, wow, the crops around Arandelle must've looked bad, LOL. Clearly, the people of the 7 kingdoms are capable of surviving an extended winter under normal conditions, with food stores and what have you as GRRM has mentioned more than a few times, the bigger issue comes into play because of the wars destroying so much food, and the debt accrued which will limit the south's ability to provide food for northerner's being wiped out by cold and Others.

ASOIAF is one of the most popular fantasy series out there and the catastrophic winters that take place would essentially wipe out the population. So needless to say they aren't remotely realistic. This doesn't keep fans from reading and enjoying the series.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Lol, never expected to see an arendelle reference!

Just realized I can play devils advocate to my own argument now...

So, being Canadian and living in the rural wilderness, we have alpine plants that take 25 years to flower because it takes them that long to establish strong enough root systems and store enough energy in a cold, windy climate with long winters.

I just assumed GRRM world was similar and never questioned it.

Last edited:
In a PM discussion about this topic, I realized that the issue for me is more about poor writing than about using the odd and unusual in fantasy writing.

I think of writing a story as guiding a reader down a path. A multitude of bad books or bad movies that have nothing to do with the fantasy genre exhibit the same signs: The writer/director leaps forward too much, leaves too much out, doesn't guide the reader or viewer down a path so much as insert a lot of things like random points on a map, assuming the reader will connect the dots in a meaningful, sensible way or intuitively understand the reasons for what happens. Anakin flips on a dime; "Oh, but well, yes someone might flip to the dark side because of the things implied in this movie. I know what the director's getting at, at least."

Of course, in those cases the writer and/or director probably doesn't realize the work is shoddy. The image he has in mind is clear even if he's left too many steps out for others or has presented conflicting information like a) this is a normal human who b) can take a lance to the chest and still, while it's in his chest, flip its holder into the air and toss him. The writer can see it clearly, no problem; so, why not the reader?

Presenting the odd and unusual will certainly be affected and probably exacerbate or highlight the generally poor writing.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
^^^^ Is what i think I'm getting at. Exactly.

Right now I'm reading Clive Cussler's The Soloman Curse. (because I'm a nerd like that).

The Solomon Curse (Fargo Adventure, #7) by Clive Cussler ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

What I'm learning from reading this book is that I'm trying to do waaaaaaay too much per chapter. I'm trying to pack in so much, and what is happening is that everything ends up watered down. I can't get deep enough into anything because I'm worrying about word count, so the result is a lot of confusion for the reader and them not really getting into what is happening.

Clive Cussler is a master at breaking things down into bite sized peices.

Chapter One: The couple is in the Soloman Islands helping a friends on an archeology assignment.

Chapter two: There are crocodiles in the water and a man is bitten. All the locals believe the area is cursed.

Chapter three: When the locals are asked about a hidden city below the water, no one wants to talk about it.

Chapter four....

You get the idea.

Bite sized peices.

What I have really learned is that a "hook" does not mean constant action and stuff happening all the time. It is about a mystery. last night I stayed up reading for hours just because the couple was headed to find an old local on his deathbed that could shed some light on the mysterious sunken city... It took them three chapters to find him. Pretty much nothing happened, but Clive had set it up in such way, feeding me bite sized peices, that I was aware of the danger and the stakes. He takes things very slowly to be absolutely sure that he has the reader on the end of a leash.

I'm not a fan of his writing style, per se. He is very utilitarian, not in the least poetic or beautiful, but man, can that guy spin a yarn.

So for me, I tried to pack in:

Girl doesn't like her dad and has been searching for her mother. She goes into the subway where she meets a mysterious busker who seems to know her and her dad and wants her dad dead.

Too much in 3500 words!

Clive cussler taught me to do this:

Chapter one: girl and dad don't get along. Show conflict.
Chapter two: girl decides to hunt down her mother. Show father grounding her.
Chapter three: girl chooses to leave despite grounding and enters subway meets strange busker.
Chapter 4: dad followed girl and encounters her and busker. Sword fight in subway ensues.

Etc. Bite sized prices.

Then I actually have time to set up the dads antique sword collection and his job st the novelty weapons shop and his fencing skills so a sword fight in the subway isn't so random for the reader. It's plausible.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff

Right now I'm reading Clive Cussler's The Soloman Curse. (because I'm a nerd like that).

The Solomon Curse (Fargo Adventure, #7) by Clive Cussler ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

What I'm learning from reading this book is that I'm trying to do waaaaaaay too much per chapter. I'm trying to pack in so much, and what is happening is that everything ends up watered down. I can't get deep enough into anything because I'm worrying about word count, so the result is a lot of confusion for the reader and them not really getting into what is happening.

Chapter One: The couple is in the Soloman Islands helping a friends on an archeology assignment.

Chapter two: There are crocodiles in the water and a man is bitten. All the locals believe the area is cursed.

Chapter three: When the locals are asked about a hidden city below the water, no one wants to talk about it.

Chapter four....

You get the idea.

Bite sized peices.

What I have really learned is that a "hook" does not mean constant action and stuff happening all the time. It is about a mystery. last night I stayed up reading for hours just because the couple was headed to find an old local on his deathbed that could shed some light on the mysterious sunken city... It took them three chapters to find him. Pretty much nothing happened, but Clive had set it up in such way, feeding me bite sized peices, that I was aware of the danger and the stakes. He takes things very slowly to be absolutely sure that he has the reader on the end of a leash.

I'm not a fan of his writing style, per se. He is very utilitarian, not in the least poetic or beautiful, but man, can that guy spin a yarn.

Girl doesn't like her dad and has been searching for her mother. She goes into the subway where she meets a mysterious busker who seems to know her and her dad and wants her dad dead.

Too much in 3500 words!

Chapter three: girl chooses to leave despite grounding and enters subway meets strange busker.
Chapter 4: dad followed girl and encounters her and busker. Sword fight in subway ensues.

Etc. Bite sized prices.

Then I actually have time to set up the dads antique sword collection and his job st the novelty weapons shop and his fencing skills so a sword fight in the subway isn't so random for the reader. It's plausible.

I'm a fan of most of Cussler's work. His Dirk Pitt books are, for the most part, pretty entertaining. I've read most of them at airports or on planes because in my opinion, they're fun, fast paced reads that don't get too bogged down in unimportant or superfluous minutiae.

Laurence

Inkling
Consistency is the easiest way to make for a believable world, however if your character is as amazing as ol' papa Gandalf you can have them do whatever you like.

Last edited:
I think this is an overblown interpretation of their winters... at least when not including the Others and hordes of dead, heh heh. All we've really seen of winter is hyperbole in the books. It isn't some instant ice age out of Frozen covering the entire continent, speaking of which, wow, the crops around Arandelle must've looked bad, LOL. Clearly, the people of the 7 kingdoms are capable of surviving an extended winter under normal conditions, with food stores and what have you as GRRM has mentioned more than a few times, the bigger issue comes into play because of the wars destroying so much food, and the debt accrued which will limit the south's ability to provide food for northerner's being wiped out by cold and Others.

Hundred foot snows aren't going to make for a good time. ;)

AElisabet

Scribe
The most important accuracy to me is emotional accuracy. While I generally prefer fantasy that has a very "human" world juxtaposed with a mysterious "other," you can do anything with your fantasy world, in my opinion, if you can make the characters, their relationships, and their reactions to the world convincing to me emotionally and internally consistent.

As to childbirth :p Having given birth precipitously myself (65 minutes, start to finish), I can attest that I might possibly have been able to fight a dragon afterwords ... while laughing hysterically. Those endorphines are ammmmaaaaazing. Which brings me to this ... sometimes truth is weirder than fiction. What is not "realistic" might actually be ... realistic.

To often fantasy is full of made up weirdness but then strives too hard to be hyper accurate on other things, as if to make up for the fantasy element. But sometimes reality is crazy weird. Embrace the crazy weird in reality as well as the fantastic.

It takes more skill and attention to detail to pull off weirder things. Often believability depends on how well the author is able to execute it. A great author who knows their stuff can make even the most wild and unbelievable of nonsense believable.

Chapter four....

You get the idea.

Bite sized peices.

Too much in 3500 words!

Etc. Bite sized prices.

This is basically what I do in my outline, chapter after chapter. I have a chapter goal which is what I need to get across, and if I need to end it in a specific manner as things transition into the next chapter. It makes it a lot easier to focus on what is important and avoid wandering off the path too much.