• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

character relationship s

ok i am working on sword and story vien of conan the babarian stories. i have my own twist orginal tale/s. i am creating two adevturing friends/companions for the stories. the babarian hates magic. now the copmplex thing is that his companion is socerer type. how would you suggest i wriote that depth into the relationship. i am stuck on that point and aspect.

Telcontar

Staff
Fairly simple, actually. If your MC meets this sorcerer and befriends him before learning of his magic, he'll put up with the magic because of the friendship. Portray their relationship convincingly and it's no problem. People put up with a lot in their close friends.

I'd say it depends on the details of things. How much does the warrior "hate" magic: is he just uneasy around it, does he think all spells call up spirits that are more likely to kill them then not, or what? How much does the sorcerer need to use magic, rather than using a sword most of the time? Because the more they disagree, the harder it is for them to stay together-- unless they're on a specific mission where they know they have to put up with each other.

Note, the standard Conan tales rarely did much with this because the world didn't have many sorcerers who were past apprenticeship; most who did either stayed locked in a royal court, turned evil, or both. So Conan had little chance to meet wizards and see if there was anything to it besides evil. Actually letting them meet like this is a logical next step from the early path, but it changes things.

MadMadys

Troubadour
Also, show how they are friends with dialogue and interactions rather than just saying "they're good friends now even though they shouldn't be!" as that's just a cop-out.

well for one the warrior is only a teenager and not that extremely strong and requires potions to increase his strength . second he knows he a sorcerer from the start. thirdly the sorcerer mostly uses magic to assist them in their specific quest to rescue his sister from an enemy called the black clan which is a huge horde planning to on world domination in this quest only a small portion of the black clan they will encounter

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Who among us doesn't have friends with behaviors and habits we don't approve of?

There's nothing wrong with maintaining a friendship between these characters while maintaining a dislike of magic in the barbarian. It offers a lot of potential conflict that you should embrace. Perhaps the barbarian's need of the magic is also a source of strife...he distrusts what he needs, he may distrust that dependency.

Lots of ways to take this part of your story.

ok i am working on sword and story vien of conan the babarian stories. i have my own twist orginal tale/s. i am creating two adevturing friends/companions for the stories. the babarian hates magic. now the copmplex thing is that his companion is socerer type. how would you suggest i wriote that depth into the relationship. i am stuck on that point and aspect.

Disapproving of something doesn't mean you can't have a healthy respect for it. To begin with, a decent degree of common sense and willingness to compromise tends to be part of the barbarian archetype.

As Conan himself put it: "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Not liking magicians doesn't mean you have to constantly pick fights with them. Especially not if they have known each other for a long time, grew up together, etc.

I could see this being something they'd bicker about, but they know each other so well they don't take it too seriously. And really, the barbarian would surely realize there are times having a sorceror around might be useful, even if he personally don't want anything to do with magic.

Example:

Evil Sorceror: "Bwahahaha! Now that the Statue of the Unborn God is complete, ultimate power will be mine!"
Barbarian: "See, this is why you people suck."
Sorceror: "Shut up, I need to concentrate on dispersing his fell-runes. Meanwhile, see if you can destroy that shiny golden disk on the statue. That should rob him of his unholy powers."
Barbarian: "I hate magic."

Last edited: