• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Damonza & Opt-out AI in book covers

Ned Marcus

Maester
I read this in my email this morning. So they'll be using some AI in covers unless you opt out. I wonder how much their prices will come down because this will be a large time saver for them.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Think they have a 10% off and have dropped the character creation fee, plus if you have your own AI image, they'll do the title etc. for $175. Otherwise, AI will cost about the same as stock photo subscriptions.

It's very much what I expected to happen as well. As the writer mentions "but I soon came to realise that AI, like stock image databases and Photoshop, would simply be another tool in our toolkit." And that is very much the truth of it.

I wonder how much their prices will come down because this will be a large time saver for them.
People rarely pay what something costs, but a lot more often what something is worth to them. If a good cover is worth $500 to authors, then they can charge $500 even if it only cost them $100 to make. It's why some people can charge $2000 or more for a cover, while others have trouble selling them for $250.

Ned Marcus

Maester
It's very much what I expected to happen as well. As the writer mentions "but I soon came to realise that AI, like stock image databases and Photoshop, would simply be another tool in our toolkit." And that is very much the truth of it.

People rarely pay what something costs, but a lot more often what something is worth to them. If a good cover is worth $500 to authors, then they can charge $500 even if it only cost them $100 to make. It's why some people can charge $2000 or more for a cover, while others have trouble selling them for $250.
I understand. The difference here may be that AI makes it easier for authors to create covers, too.

The difference here may be that AI makes it easier for authors to create covers, too.
Agreed. My prediction is that the cheap, bottom end of the cover design market will disappear. Or at least shrink a lot. Services like Damonza, which deliver high quality covers (and who only use AI as part of the process), will keep delivering value authors are willing to pay for. When you get a cover from them (or similar), you don't just get an image with a bunch of letters stuck on.

However, the cheaper end, which more mass-produces covers to a very simple, standard template, will suffer. Why pay someone to make an approximate copy of a standard cover when you can create your own with just a few phrases typed into midjourney or photoshop?