• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do these things bother others as much as they do me?

Mindfire

Istar
Your response is petty, unnecessarily vicious, and ultimately laughable. I'll be back to ransack it when my engineering classes end.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't think we mind some good-natured ribbing, but when you're in a community of writers keep in mind that it is inevitable that you're going to find people that disagree with you on certain issues. If you are personally unable to handle disagreement with your viewpoints, regardless of which side of the issue you support, then it may not be a bad idea to take a break.

Chilari

Staff
Leif, I object to your scorn of finger painting. I finger paint. I use acrylics and proper canvases and everything, and if I do say so myself it doesn't come out all that bad. It's easier than brushes but requires different techniques - detail requires careful planning and lots of layers for example.

Telcontar

Staff
Preference of authors does not fall to objective logic. That is all.

I wish to move onto the more pressing matter - what is this 'he-who-shall-not-be-named' business? Who are we talking about? Would somebody PM me? I feel so out of touch...

Preference of authors does not fall to objective logic. That is all.

I wish to move onto the more pressing matter - what is this 'he-who-shall-not-be-named' business? Who are we talking about? Would somebody PM me? I feel so out of touch...

PM'ed. Now you can be filled with revulsion as well.

-sigh- ...reenters conversation.
(Edited to address post-moderated form of posts)

I disagree with ALL of the opinions expressed on Sanderson's novels apparently. But what really concerns me is that they are not seen as opinions.

It is your chance to refute me with real LOGIC and ANALYSIS.

Good luck, ladies and gentlemen.
Here is my summary of your argument: I dislike strawberries because they are red. You cannot deny that they are red, hence anyone that is not a moron should dislike strawberries.

The problem here is the connection that being red implies that we should dislike them. This is a mind projection fallacy. You cannot assume that your personal experience is the way the world really is. Because you think strawberries are bad does not mean that they are inherently bad. Also, assuming that everyone that is similar to you is good and everyone else is an idiot or moron or whatever language you are using is also another fallacy.

You can say something true all you want, that does not mean that it implies what you are saying it implies. You can say that books with long prologues are bad, that doesn't make a book with a long prologue bad, it means that if a book has a long prologue then you will think it is bad. You can say that books with multiple viewpoints early are bad, that doesn't make them bad, it means that you think they are bad. You can even say that you have some authority on writing (appeal to authority), but that is a logical fallacy as well. Having an authority does not make something true, it means that someone thinks it is true.

The correct way to use modus ponens is to say, "if p implies q and we assume p to be true, then q must be the case." No one is questioning that you believe p implies q or even that p is true. We are saying that p does not imply q.

I believe that books can be good regardless of prologue length or inclusion, whether that prologue contains an antagonist, protagonist or even a main character, whether there are multiple POV shifts before an arbitrary point or not, whether books are written to include the reader or exclude the reader. I am denying that including these no matter how well they are done forces a book to be bad because the word "bad" is subjective and appears to be a matter of taste.

Last edited: