• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone else daydream?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've always done this, and every other writer I know does it. What messes with my head is wondering what non-creatives think about all day, if it's not imaginary friends and lives lived that aren't our own.

These have been the main inspiration for my writing. When I was a kid I was a maladaptive daydreamer, which has lessened since I became an adult and my life became more stable. But these intense daydreams are the inspiration of my works. I was wondering if anyone else has done this?
I used to day dream about cartoon and anime style fights. But nowadays I occasionally slip into my universe for some daydreaming. It's kinda cool.

I get ideas from dreams. I am lucky, that once in a while I can enter a lucid dream and play almost the entire story through before I wake up. The trouble is remembering the specifics afterwards. Even keeping a digital recorder by the bed and trying a stream of consciousness recitation as soon as I get up doesn't seem to work. I try not to sweat it and let the ideas and sensations float back to me over the next few days.
Right now I've got the "memory" of a sunny hillside and cloud busting with not a care in the world. And no idea where it fits in a story...
I'm a little jealous, I've always wanted to get into lucid dreaming.

Empathy001

Oh I absolutely Daydream. Once when I was little, I had a daydream that I could literally travel to other worlds (basically reality shifting, but I didn’t know there was a name for that at the time.) I was so convinced that I made a bunch of my friends that I could do it, and then they began to claim they could as well. Looking back, I just wanted to be special, and my friends didn’t want to be left out, so we all collectively gaslit each other into believing it was real for like a year lmao.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I've always done this, and every other writer I know does it. What messes with my head is wondering what non-creatives think about all day, if it's not imaginary friends and lives lived that aren't our own.
If I'm to judge by my non-creative daydreams, it's probably intense debates on topics that weren't brought up. I'd be a wealthy man if I could cash in the amount of times I've been enraged by an illogical argument an imaginary strawman made in my head.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh I absolutely Daydream. Once when I was little, I had a daydream that I could literally travel to other worlds (basically reality shifting, but I didn’t know there was a name for that at the time.) I was so convinced that I made a bunch of my friends that I could do it, and then they began to claim they could as well. Looking back, I just wanted to be special, and my friends didn’t want to be left out, so we all collectively gaslit each other into believing it was real for like a year lmao.
That is hysterical, mostly for me because my wife did that with her entire 6th Grade class, teachers and all, roleplaying an espionage thriller about a clandestine military organization during the Cold War. Appropriate, as it was in reality during the Cold War. The 80's were trippy.