• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elementalism, Para-Elements,The Fifth element and Adeptery

Elementalism and Adeptery are the two dweomer based magic systems of my setting.

The Elements of Elementalism are Air,water and the the two complex elements of Radiance(Fire,Light,Lightning) and Tellus(Stone,Metal,Crystal).

In addition to controlling its namesake substance/force each Element has a higher aspect accessible only to those with a sufficiently strong connection to affinity to it.

Radiance: Can cause matter to burn or explode as well as control the flammability/explosiveness of matter, alter the efficiency at which matter releases energy when burned or detonated. It can also increases the energy-density of matter.

Air: Can put matter into state of flux,rendering its shape pliant, altering its phase so that it can move through matter, put into a data like state where it can be stored or transmitted like a signal as well as erased.

Water: Is entropic it can,dissolve,warp,rust,rot,corrode,smother matter and energy. Its most subversive
use is the ability to degrade mechanical/biological system.

Tellus: Can reinforce matter,project virtual mass and manipulate the mass of objects, increases the potential energy of matter.

The only remaining issues with Elementalism are Para-elements and The Fifth elements nature.

Para-elements.

Are elements that exist as a result of combining two or more bases element. Air and Water producing Ice, Fire and Earth producing lava.

I wanted to something a little different but ran out of combinations when I deviated from the way that para-elements are usually portrayed.

fire + water = Effervescence: a burning napalm like liquid.

Fire + air = Aurora(smokeless fire).

fire + earth = Fulgent: energy that behaves like matter.

earth + water = ooze/gel.

earth + air = Densus(heavy air).

The Fifth Element.

There are two ways that I see of handling the concept.

The Fifth element is Void. Which would be the element of the otherworldly controlling psychic-energy/life force, conjuring ectoplasm, enabling astral projection. The main problem is that I haven't been able to think of a good secondary power for Void, spatial manipulation would be the most obvious but its such a broken power that I'm very reluctant to put it into my setting.

Treat Dweomer as the Fifth element which is the simplest solution. It is a transformitive and catalytic spiritual force that already embodies allot of what the various traditions associate with the fifth element. However I wanted dweomer to be the prima-materia the root of all things;Making it an element just lessens it.

Adeptery is the art of taping the dweomer that the body passively absorbs, its powers are called are called channels and they are not learned, channels are naturally present within every person representing a natural expression of magic, one that while limited in scope can be quite powerful.

The channel of Dynamism: dweomer is translated into physical force which can be used as armor,projected as a blast of force, imbued into object empowering them. Dynamism can even dispel elemental manipulation.

The channel of Corpus: spins dweomer through out the body enhancing it.

The channel of Aura: pours dweomer into the aura so that it can act as both a spiritual sensor and as means of communication.

The point of both magic systems is replicate two different supernaturally empowered beings, the Super-warrior and the Mystic.

Shadowrun's Adept and Spellcaster dived is the best western example that I can think of. However the split is fairly common to those that play Jrpgs and or read/watch manga and anime. In one column you have Super-warriors that have somehow trained themselves until they were operating on a superhuman level and in another you have Mystics who's powers fall outside the purview of even greatly enhanced human ability.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Sounds like the fifth element is not an element, it is an essence. As such, the four elements derive from it but are not it. It is the literal sine qua nihil. Does that work?

Sounds like the fifth element is not an element, it is an essence. As such, the four elements derive from it but are not it. It is the literal sine qua nihil. Does that work?

That is exactly where I was going with dweomer though I didn't know the term though I was reluctant to make it the fifth element. Remembering the existence of Sympathetic magic I actually have a sub-power for the Fifth element.

Para-elements are still a conundrum though.

I'm sure it would be easier to understand in practice (in the story.) But it takes a while to explain outright, that's what I meant.

A condensed explanation is that.

Dweomer is my world's analog .

Elementalism and Adeptery are two different and usually exclusive ways of using it.

Elementalism controls the five elements Void,Radiance(Heat,Light,Lightning),Air,Water,Tellus(Stone,Metal,Crystal).

Each element contains higher more abstract power available only to those with a very strong connection to that element.

Adeptery is mostly physical agumentation but also has the ability to channel spiritual power directly into physical.

A condensed explanation is that.

Dweomer is my world's analog .

Elementalism and Adeptery are two different and usually exclusive ways of using it.

Elementalism controls the five elements Void,Radiance(Heat,Light,Lightning),Air,Water,Tellus(Stone,Metal,Crystal).

Each element contains higher more abstract power available only to those with a very strong connection to that element.

Adeptery is mostly physical agumentation but also has the ability to channel spiritual power directly into physical.

All right, this makes sense. I think I get it now.

All right, this makes sense. I think I get it now.

Elementalist and Adepts exist to represent archetypes that I've observed in j-rpgs and manga/anime.

Super-warriors are warriors who fight on a superhuman level, often their abilities are attributed to their mastery of inner spiritual power that is analogous to Ki, though in some settings you can just train yourself to be superhuman without needing an explicit supernatural power source.

Mystics are the ones who possess abilities that fall completely outside the realm of human psychic powers and most forms of magic are in this category and have a multitude of possible sources.

The most interesting separation between the Super-warrior and the Mystic is that both in-universe and out the Super-Warrior's abilities are considered "natural" while Mystic's abilities are not. I suspect that this has something to do with Japanese myth and metaphysics,the concept of inner spiritual power which can harnessed through training and put to martial purpose is one deeply ingrained in the culture.