• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy or historical novels about queens?

Jabrosky

Banned
Does anyone know a good fantasy (or historical) novel which has a ruling queen for a protagonist? She can be from any kind of culture (e.g. African, European, Middle Eastern, etc.) but should preferably be a warrior type in an action-packed story. I ask because I want to write about female royalty and would appreciate some model literature to study.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
From an historical PoV - it's probably my lack of education in the subject but I can't think of a queen that was a front-line warrior... Boudica [ wiki ] is about as close as I can get and I still think she stood on a chariot on the side of the battle. There is a pretty good radio programme to listen to, about her here.
Did just read this...
The Rig-Veda, an ancient sacred poem of India, written between 3500 and 1800 BC recounts the story of a warrior, Queen Vishpla, who lost her leg in battle, was fitted with an iron prosthesis, and returned to battle.
That is hardcore!!!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The Flashman Novels are a rollicking good read - or at least that is what my father says... and yes he used the word "rollicking"

Alexandra

Closed Account
I recommend the Boudicca Series, Dreaming the Eagle (2003), Dreaming the Bull (2004), Dreaming the Hound (2005), and Dreaming the Serpent Spear (2006), by Manda Scott. In a word—brilliant. Are the books fantasy or historic fiction? Read the books and come to your own conclusion.