• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Forward Thinking ideas for my novel

I finished my novel but i dont really see it standing out enough and I would love to get some ideas on forward thinking in the fantasy/scifi novel or other ideas that are different but attention grabbing? (structure for example)

Below is a quick rundown of my book

The Infiniverse is a Limitless Mixed Reality World that has made your avatar more important than your real world body.

Using Fast Radio Bursts discovery and communication with far reaching worlds have become possible through this World.

Tyrant, the most well-known user in the universal virtual world known as the Infiniverse, has used his influence to recruit an army of followers from all planets to cause chaos in the real and virtual world . As space travel is still in its infancy, he recognized using the virtual world to conquer the real world was his only path to being the first Universal Emperor.

Klic, the first child born in the Infiniverse will need to learn his true powers with the help of his friends in order to provide resistance against the Tyrant led Despotic army. As he progresses through his journey guided by his powerful Druid uncle, he needs to determine who truly can be trusted.

Accompanied by the Infinity Sword he is the only true defense against the Dark Mattered equipped Despotics and their total control.

No one is safe in the virtual or the real world. The first Virtual War begins.

Thanks!

What do you mean by forward thinking? And what sort of attention grabbing ideas are you looking for?

Your idea seems fine. And reading it I would expect a fairly standard hero's journey type story. Which sounds great. What sort of differences are you then looking for?

One small detail that bugged me in your description (you'd at least need to explain it in the story). Is using the fast radio bursts to communicate with far away worlds. The fast part in them means they only last for an instant, not that they actually travel fast. Which means that communicating with other worlds would still happen at the speed of light. In other words, even reaching the closest star would still take 4 and a bit years.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Seems forward to me... What do you mean by forward thinking?

Life in virtual worlds is kind of still in the new phase for fiction. I've seen some stories, but not one like you describe.

All of the trapping of the story, the characters, settings, plot... Still fall under the over-arching things that tend to make stories great. Following characters that change and grow, showing a journey, showing a conflict... Those will still be in play regardless of forward or past thinking. Or I am just not understanding what you mean by it.

If you are hoping for something like, taking the 3-act story structure and doing it all in a different order to garner attention, well...that may work, but I would think would be difficult to pull of solely as a gimmick, and it will send you back to rewriting the whole story.

What feel non-forward thinking to you?

BearBear

Archmage
Accompanied by the Infinity Sword he is the only true defense against the Dark Mattered equipped Despotics and their total control.

We can't trust the sword of a thousand truths to a noob!

Ideas:

Viruses threaten to take down the hero.

Tyrant is attempting to use viruses as a WMD irl to help conquer the wholeverse.

Targeted viruses even

Fractal subroutines that can render someone virtually immobile without a cipher.

Comic relief AI talking dog... oh, no, done before.

Giant mechanical spider with lazer beams in the wild west... oh wait, never mind.

Dinosaurs?

Morphing virus that turns people's avatars into talking dogs.

Comic relief virus, but she's on the hero's side. "Hey Listen! HEY! Hey Listen" just over and over... no forget that last part.

Oh, any romance? Perhaps forbidden love between unlikely odd anthropomorphic races that might bring two worlds together? Maybe Tyrant is a bigot? So he bans cross world marriage and this is his undoing.

Can the hero raise a legion of faithful but adorablly useless minion... no no, not again.

Oh oh oh yes this is genuinely genius and insufferably evil. So there's a social gathering spot in the virtual world, call it Twi... TwatterX and listen, it's all about cult of personality, like every celebrity is there and active and you can't do anything without people talking about this amazing place where you can respond to your favorite celebs and everyone has a shot to become famous. But it's all a massively and plainly obvious farse but everyone's in on it because they get paid and forced to be.

So Tyrant buys it for an insanely overpriced amount vowing to make it useful but it's not at all useful because everyone, and mean all the celebs, it's painfully obvious, all of them are bot accounts. I mean seriously they tweet uh I mean twat about divisive incidoeus nonsense all day every day even Sundays 12-24x an hour because they get paid to do so and advertisers are stupid enough to think the hundreds of thousands of likes and retwats are real even though they happen in less then 2 minutes like as if that many people are hanging off every word of a bot, no they're all bots! It's so bad in fact, anyone new to this meeting place quickly escape the din of nonsense lest the cringe turns them into a loyal Tyrant fan.

Oh and if you follow your favorite celebrity it completely ruins them in your eyes, and you're left lost and aimless, in a fog of disbelief that someone you looked up to could allow their publicists to make these insane bots to falsely represent them. And they're almost all like this. I just don't even know what to think anymore, it sapped my very core... oh I mean that's what they'd say, you know, those people in your book, not me haha I'm here and a Bear, nothing could be better for me... yay me! Totally not disenfranchised nooooo no, where'd you get that idea? Yeah yeah no yeah not not uh me not at all depressed now, nope... I need to go sit down somewhere and recosider my life choices...

You can have those ideas for free, you're welcome.

Last edited: