• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Found a resource on ciphers,

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
Practical Cryptography

Not sure if it will come in handy for anyone besides me, but cryptography is one of my interests, along with steganography (the art of concealing the very presence of things, such as ciphers.)

Summary: Early ciphers relied on simple and more complex substitution, and tended to rely on transpositioning, fractionating, compressing, and substituting letters. Modern ciphers such as AES work with bits. Hashs are a subset of cryptography, that belong to a class called One-Way Functions. Unlike Public Key, such as RSA and Diffie Hellman, MD5, SHA, Blake, and other cannot be directly decrypted. However they can collide with other inputs with the same hash value do to the limits of pseudo-randomness.

However my special interest is historical ciphers. (I've converted an AGDVX ciphers into a AEIMQUYBDFHJLNPRTVXZCGKOSW cipher, that only completely flattens everything.) Extending the alphabet to 52 characters using "nulls" (which literally means) symbols. Or if not null, translates to NaN, or not a number.

Hope that links hopes. I used to follow along with it a bit.