• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Future cities?

Genly

Minstrel
Just a suggestion, but perhaps skyscraper cities of the far future might be rather more self-sufficient than they are today. The skyscrapers might have schools, hospitals, night clubs, maybe even hydroponic farms, so that their inhabitants might never have to leave them. This might have come about because of gross environmental degradation of the planetary surface, requiring people to hunker down in their buildings. There might be intense rivalries between the inhabitants of the different skyscrapers, even very distinct cultural differences. This could be a source of conflict.

Woodland city, where trees and wildlife are at the centre of the principles of society - each house is for one family and is surrounded by a mixed species native woodland. The family can forage anything from their own land but must be in accordance with sustainability practices. Lynx’s, wolves, wild boar and other predatory animals are free roaming. Consumerism is dead.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
City states organized on blockchain technology.

Perhaps the layout and construction of these cities will depend on what humans look like. If we proceed with genetic modification of the species, who knows what we'll look like in the future.

And if we ever succeed in separating the consciousness from the body, well . . . anything is possible.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I agree with ThinkerX, the question is too broad. I am sure I can come up with a 100 different types, but I am not inclined to type them all out.

I dont much care about cities, I want to hop in my ship and fly off to different planets. That's when its cool for me.

Ill go with the world of George Jetson. Lots of glass and 50's retro.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I agree with ThinkerX, the question is too broad. I am sure I can come up with a 100 different types, but I am not inclined to type them all out.

I dont much care about cities, I want to hop in my ship and fly off to different planets. That's when its cool for me.

Do you plant to genetically modify yourself before you leave on your ship? :cool:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
City states organized on blockchain technology.

Perhaps the layout and construction of these cities will depend on what humans look like. If we proceed with genetic modification of the species, who knows what we'll look like in the future.

And if we ever succeed in separating the consciousness from the body, well . . . anything is possible.
I wonder how a blockchain would change the construction of a city. I could see one built with modular pieces, and even with Robots following instructions, but blockchain? How does that fit in?

I think it is just as likely that there will be no cities at all in the future. They problems cities are meant to solve are becoming things of the past. If I can live far away, avoid the crime and congestion and stupid politics, and get resources, why do I need them? It could be people just dont choose to live there as time goes on.

Do you plan to genetically modify yourself before you leave on your ship? :cool:

I think becoming more a cyborg and more modified is a likely trajectory for the human race. I might, but I might be modified already.

Along the lines of using modification to look better (and I am sure many will do that), why? How about everyone just has implants in their eyes, and they paint the world so everything look pretty to them. It wont matter what I look like if I am always CGI anyway.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You might get better responses were you to offer up your own ideas first. Then people would know the point from which they might extrapolate.

JBCrowson

Troubadour

you could combine the two - cities and planet hopping - a la James Blish 'cities in flight' quartet from the 70's (showing my age a bit there, read 'em when I was 8)

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I wonder how a blockchain would change the construction of a city. I could see one built with modular pieces, and even with Robots following instructions, but blockchain? How does that fit in?

I think it is just as likely that there will be no cities at all in the future. They problems cities are meant to solve are becoming things of the past. If I can live far away, avoid the crime and congestion and stupid politics, and get resources, why do I need them? It could be people just dont choose to live there as time goes on.

I think becoming more a cyborg and more modified is a likely trajectory for the human race. I might, but I might be modified already.

Along the lines of using modification to look better (and I am sure many will do that), why? How about everyone just has implants in their eyes, and they paint the world so everything look pretty to them. It wont matter what I look like if I am always CGI anyway.
I feel like a bit or a 'rusty' old cyborg myself most days. Creaky joints, and all that.

The blockchain DAO governance structure is what I meant for the city states. It's more the government side of things than the what the city might actually look like, I suppose.

I've read about genetic modification being used to develop human bodies for interstellar travel, or for other extreme environments.

Genly

Minstrel
Or they could be made of wood. This is technically possible, apparently. In that society, perhaps they are made of wood because metal is extremely scarce and has magical properties. Then, one day, someone discovers an enormous deposit of metal somewhere. Cue conflict.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Can skyscrapers be made of brick and wood? Just engineering, but the bottom brick has to hold a lot of weight and not burst. I think you need steel with the weight of a skyscraper.

Genly

Minstrel
I am not a civil engineer, so I am pretty much limited to what I read on the internet about this. But there is an 18 storey building in Norway constructed almost entirely of wood (Mjøstårnet). There is some concrete in the foundation, and some steel in the beam bindings (which I guess means bolts and fasteners so on). Otherwise, all timber.