• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gender Stereotypes and Tropes which I strongly dislike

MauEvig

Minstrel
For those who may not have noticed, I wanted to point out that this thread was necroed from 2015. That’s fine, just be aware.

I legitimately didn't notice until after the fact. The system brings up threads that it thinks I might be interested in, so I clicked on it and commented. ^^;

Yeah, I have damsels in distress, but I’m just as prone to have in dudes in distress... hell, pretty much every character is in distress, heh heh.

Well, that works, haha! As long as every character has their turn to be in distress, I'm cool with that. I just get annoyed when it's specifically women in distress. I just sit and go, dude, can't women ever be the bad ass hero!?

I wrote a story titled 'A Dragon in Distress' a while back. A middle-aged damsel had decided she wanted to marry him.

That sounds interesting. I had a similar story idea, although it had more to do with a princess who was promised to a foreign land. She didn't want to go, so a dragon came and took her away to rescue her. The dragon was kind to her though, allowed her to learn how to read books. She and the dragon fell in love, and the dragon was able to take a human form. Eventually though, her Kingdom found and killed the dragon and took her away. She was heart broken, but the story has a somewhat decent ending in her case. The man she married, the crown prince of the other Kingdom was sympathetic toward her. It also turned out he wasn't interested in marrying her either, and had a male lover, but did so anyway due to political reasons. She found out she was carrying the dragon's baby, but the King claimed her child as his as he really had no desire to be with a woman anyway, so it was actually a bit convenient for them. He knew she still loved the dragon, and she was more accepting of him being gay as that was also just as taboo as her loving a dragon. So her and the King become friends and respect each other, but there's no romance between them, only in public for the sake of the Kingdom. The baby ends up looking more or less human, though she does develop dragon-like powers and has the same eyes as her dragon sire. I actually thought about focusing the story on the half dragon child. The King may be gay, but he's still sympathetic toward women and actually works towards better gender equality once he becomes King. He also adores his step daughter and dotes on her.

Which reminds me of another pet peeve I have with gay characters. I hate when they hate the opposite sex. Just because you aren't attracted doesn't mean you should hate them. But that's me.

Like a zombie coming for our brains... Mmm, brains.

lol. Considering the situation we're in with quarantine I think it would make for a nice zombie apocalyptic story. Granted, that's more science fiction, unless there's magic involved in the reason for why the zombies exist. Necromancy is a thing. I did think of a science fiction story where the world's population was wiped out by a virus, and only 10% of humanity remains alive that developed immunity to it. It only effects humans so animals are fine. I'm not sure where to go with it though, I normally don't do post apocalyptic stories but it's almost like the COVID-19 makes me want to watch the movies and write stories with a similar theme.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I wouldn’t call my work heroic fantasy, more Dark Epic, and everybody ends up in deep doodoo more often than not. Sometimes they get rescued, sometimes they escape of their own volition, sometimes they die. I honestly don’t take gender into consideration, which is why it was really funny when I found I had the male lead rescued from a tower. It was a totally incidental flip of tropes that simply made sense to how the story was going. While one culture had dungeons, the other used hight towers for prisoners... Voila! But his hair was too short to let down.