• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Getting characters where they need to be...

D

Dreeparn

True, but they can really only do so much without attracting the attention of the whole freaking neighborhood, which would be very counter-intuitive. Even their Glamour won't hide the sight or sound of shattered windows or busted doors.

They don't have any kind of concoction that is able to create a sleeping gas or something, maybe an herb that they burn which create a sleeping or paralysing gas. Then they could burn downstairs so that the fumes rise up into Ariels room.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
They don't have any kind of concoction that is able to create a sleeping gas or something, maybe an herb that they burn which create a sleeping or paralysing gas. Then they could burn downstairs so that the fumes rise up into Ariels room.

It's possible, but I'd have to tweak the circumstances of the escape and initial pursuit a bit. At the moment, Loegaire's escape scene goes like this:

-Loegaire breaks Meabh out of her cell; they flee into the woods [this takes place early/mid November]
-Cadell and guards follow them
-Meabh leads Loegaire toward an open gateway; he gets through, she doesn't
-the gateway shuts behind Loegaire; he seeks refuge with the Hawk family [time skips him forward to late April in mortal world]
-Cadell and guards continue to hunt Meabh and Loegaire down, eventually finding a way to the human world themselves [still iffy on the time here, but they find Loegaire on the last night of April]

The thing about Cadell hunting Loegaire down to prove his own innocence is that he doesn't dare return to the castle empty-handed, so it's unlikely he would have gone back for supplies of the sort to make the sleeping gas. In winter, even in Faerie, there'd be no living plants around for him and his guards to gather on their way. And I'm not sure they'd think to take such things with them in the first place, since they weren't anticipating Loegaire's escape to the human world, and using sleeping gas in the open woodland would not be a good idea.

Butterfly

Auror
Perhaps the solution would be to not have her in her room in the first instance.

A few questions - Why is she eating dinner in her room alone instead of with the family?

Why is she locked in there even before the attack?

A few suggestions - She could leave the room to wash up the dinner plates and end up captured by a surprise attack.

If you have her downstairs with the family, she could be running to try and get to her room when they realise what is happening, and not quite make it there. It's a chance to create some serious tension, and conflict in her struggle to get there and through the captors. Can also bring in the desperation of her family to keep her safe, a sort of hero's act that ends up with them all captured.

I don't really know how else to solve the situation.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Perhaps the solution would be to not have her in her room in the first instance.

A few questions - Why is she eating dinner in her room alone instead of with the family?

Because, as I said in my "questions and answers" post, she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to get out of bed.

Why is she locked in there even before the attack?

She's not locked in there, she's just there. She pops out for a moment when the Fae arrive, and Vincent orders her to stay in her room and lock herself in.

A few suggestions - She could leave the room to wash up the dinner plates and end up captured by a surprise attack.

*nod* As has been suggested by a few people before. But the issue there is that she's armed with a steel knife, and even a nick from that to a Fae's skin would kill him without immediate administration of an antidote. I don't want a dead Fae on my hands.

If you have her downstairs with the family, she could be running to try and get to her room when they realise what is happening, and not quite make it there. It's a chance to create some serious tension, and conflict in her struggle to get there and through the captors. Can also bring in the desperation of her family to keep her safe, a sort of hero's act that ends up with them all captured.

I don't really know how else to solve the situation.

One issue with the "running upstairs before the Fae get in" idea is that there is a considerable delay between their arrival and their sneaking into the house. They make themselves known, and Vincent immediately stalls for time and barricades the front door, also lying about Loegaire's whereabouts in an attempt to get the Fae to leave. That gives Ariel plenty of opportunity to get to her room and stay there even before Loegaire makes his escape and is captured, after which the Fae sneak in through the window.