• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

...he said...she declared...I yelled...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Dialog tags are only needed to identify the speaker,
if only two, it is like a ping pong game,
1 says the other replies,
"I saw her" says #1
"Really?"#2 asks
"Yep"
"What was she doing?"
"Riding her horse."

Once we established who started the conversation it bounces back and forth.

Well, okay . . . maybe if everyone's sitting at a table, taking turns in the conversation as happens in civilized society.

I just find it strange that the examples people produce look more like a screenplay than a work of prose.

(edit) I'm sorry, I really am, if that was too snarky. I just think that good writing incorporates every element to build the scene, and I don't understand why some people would so readily give up an entire category of words just because some people don't use them well.

Last edited:
Agreed. Confusion aside, long stretches of two people talking with no description of the physical scene can get a bit bland. People don't typically have long conversations without showing facial reactions or doing something with their hands to indicate nervousness/agitation, etc. that can inform their state of mind and convey something to the reader.

What I decided to do in my current novel, however, is to not use any attributions at all. That is, there will be no "he saids" or anything of the like. Instead, I am using writing the descriptive text around the dialog in a way to indicate the speakers by proximity. It's a bit of an experiment; the trick will be to do it in a way that isn't awkward. We'll see how it goes.

I tried that once. I still think it's a good idea, but everyone who's read for me complains about it. "I can't tell who's speaking here." A paragraph break indicates a different speaker, why can't it indicate that an action goes with a bit of speech?

One reason I like this idea is that most people don't sit still while they talk. Characters in a story don't have the luxury of sitting still. At the very least you can show someone's state of mind rather than tell it (which is what a bookism is doing). So you break up a "wall of speech" with actions (thus varying the tone), you attribute speech to a particular speaker, you amplify what's being said, and you advance the plot. What's not to love?

Agree with both of you, although I do sometimes like to do a conversation with no attributions. I think it creates a quick, snappy effect, and I need that sometimes.

edit: both meaning benjamin and devor