• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help Getting Started

DPayne

Dreamer
Hey Guys,

So I am starting one of my books, a scary endeavor in and of itself. But I'm havign a really hard time trying to get a good start that could grasp the reader. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or knew any good resources for the starter-writer's-block? I have a start and it flows but when I go back and read it I don't think it is quite what I wanted it to be. I feel like I write forever but when I go back and read it I feel like my story is being rushed along. Thanks for any help.

-D

Xanados

Maester
Do not get hung up on introductory paragraphs. Just go for it.

You'll want to get the main bulk of the story written out. Do not waste your time on introductions. The likelihood is that you'll probably change major aspects of the story as you write, so the beginning will end up having to be altered.
People say that you have to hook the reader right from the very start. That is necessarily true.

DPayne

Dreamer
Yeah, I figured as much. As of today I have rewritten the first chapter twice trying to get the flow down. But perhaps I will just write it out and not make it a first chapter but another one of the earlier ones.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I like to start with a conflict. An argument, a battle, someone running from the law... that sort of thing. If nothing comes to mind immediately, just write your story and go back and edit the beginning. I am doing that right now. I started my book with an army performing maneuvers.... which I liked, but then I didn't have anything for the character to do besides go back to the barracks and get cleaned up and go eat.... pretty boring. I'm trying to dress that up right now. Hang in there, it will come to you at some random time when inspiration hits.

Jess A

Archmage
I tend to write scenes that come to mind, regardless of what part of the book they are in. I have a prologue and first chapter, but I've re-written chapter 1 a few times (and changed it a lot) and I will need to re-write the prologue. I've written scenes that come much later on. It helps me to identify plot holes and fill in other areas which needed working on, and it means that I have at least started writing - as well as allowing me to get to know the characters. Some scenes are strong in my mind, and others grow as I write.

emma

Acolyte
I wouldn't worry too much about the start right now. I do tend to start out with action...just because i need something to jumpstart my own creativity and engage me to the idea of the story. I really try not to reread anything though until I'm finished with the story, otherwise it's so easy for me to get locked into a continuous rewrite cycle. Plus, sometimes the story needs to change as your writing it which means the beginning might change as well. :)

jkaram

I agree with Xanados. I tend to outline my story from start to finish, but I inevitably end up revising or rewriting my first two or three chapters. Don't get hung up on the opening, let it flow and rewrite later.

DPayne

Dreamer
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I always worry about this. But getting your input has at least put my mind at ease. Now I get to deal with the mess of constantly updating chapters lol.

Jess A

Archmage
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I always worry about this. But getting your input has at least put my mind at ease. Now I get to deal with the mess of constantly updating chapters lol.

I know how you feel. I think about my book so much sometimes that my head begins to hurt. It's hard to steer my mind away from it, sometimes. I aggressively and automatically seem to pin point every error, dislike or plot hole whilst I am trying to do something completely unrelated.