• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do i decide on a book title.

So ive been trying to find a title for my book for awhile now. Its high fantasy based and ive come up with a few but i dont like them. Any advice would be great.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Why have you rejected the titles you have?

For me, my first two stories, I knew the title before I started. The third, I wrestled with a bit. I wanted one that encompassed the whole work and the ones I was arriving at were only grabbing pieces of it. But the title did appear before I was finished it. I think it just had to simmer inside my head for a while before it became clear.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I know for my team, titles emerge from each book's themes. We also try to have them bear multiple meanings while not being too on-the-nose. It can be a challenge, but we think it's worth it.

I recommend having a reread of your manuscript with theme and titles in mind. Make note of any titles that pop up in your head, and when you feel ready thin that list until you have a few you really like. Then, if a winner hasn't emerged from the pack, maybe try it out in writing circles (like this one) and see what general opinions look like.

Look at titles of classic books. They’re usually never too obvious. You can’t tell what Catcher in the Rye is about just from the title, but it works.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I always thought Catcher in the Rye was a cool title, but certainly does not give away the subject.

But, I do think the title does have to be related.

Just go with the Japanese method of naming a book.
"This title is a work in progress, the book is finished though!" (Trust me there are lots of anime with odd names like this)

Why have you rejected the titles you have?

For me, my first two stories, I knew the title before I started. The third, I wrestled with a bit. I wanted one that encompassed the whole work and the ones I was arriving at were only grabbing pieces of it. But the title did appear before I was finished it. I think it just had to simmer inside my head for a while before it became clear.
I honestly rejected them because i thought they were to generic and they didnt fit the story.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I never reject titles. I just start a titles list and add to it. Some get pushed down by new and better ideas,

Some titles come easily. Mad House, for example, was always there, simply because it was about a house that was, well, mad. I mean, what else ya gonna call it?

I was never comfortable with Goblins at the Gates, but everyone around me said it was a good title and there it is for all time.

Sometimes the title is there before the story. A Child of Great Promise is such a one. I had the phrase in mind and ideas flowed quickly, so it was natural to use it for the title.

Choosing a title is a bit like choosing clothing. You just keep trying things on. Sometimes an outfit is just perfect and off you go. Sometimes you like it and your friends go eww, and you sort of have to agree. Sometimes you find something right away, sometimes it takes for ev er. None of it really means anything and it's not like there's a method to choosing clothes. It's just a thing you do.

So, you've rejected some titles. OK, no big deal. Keep trying. You'll find something. You don't have to be thrilled with it, you just need to have something serviceable.

I never reject titles. I just start a titles list and add to it. Some get pushed down by new and better ideas,
That's exactly what I do.

I almost never know the title at the start - it just magically emerges in the writing, usually about three quarters through the draft.

My titles tend to be symbolic of the main theme. For example my MC in my latest release works for the council pulling out a terrible weed called asparagus grass. The appalling spread of asparagus grass becomes symbolic of a profound universal conflict - into which our hero is drawn - so the title was obvious: Asparagus Grass.

One of my crime novels features a very naughty lawyer who refers to his suit as his straight jacket. He also has an obsession with cicadas (very important to the deeper textures of the plot) and the cover features a cicada emerging from its shell. Obviously the book is called Straight Jacket.

Don't overthink it. The title will appear in a great flash when you least expect it.

Friendly reminder that I once hammered out a name for an organization for observing, recording, and potentially subduing eldritch horrors.
It was a good while before I found something both hilarious and fitting since the story is a comedy.
It started with a dumb joke that made me chuckle, but with some help from others I eventually came up with a good Acronym

Subduing Existential Xeno Threats Against People Everywhere

Yup, and yup, that's the joke. Congratulations.

Mad Swede

Auror
That's exactly what I do.

I almost never know the title at the start - it just magically emerges in the writing, usually about three quarters through the draft.
It's the same for me, at least for my novels. The title just emerges as I'm writing, and it's usually related to something one of the main characters says or does.

Oddly, it doesn't work that way with my short stories. With them I find that the title starts as a few words which appear as an almost random thought, and suddenly the story is there in my mind. I wish I knew how that worked...

But as The Dark One says, don't overthink the title. Something suitable will come to you.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I don't know if it helps or not, but it occurs to me that coming up with chapter titles could be a sort of training exercise. I've always named my chapters, though I'm not sure why. I know I tried just numbering them but it felt ... inadequate, somehow. The chapter titles go through a similar range--some just step right up and announce themselves, while others come only slowly or undergo many changes. I will note that those that arrive early tend to be with chapters that are themselves clear and consistent early on, while the troublesome titles happen with chapters that take a long time to figure out their boundaries and focus.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Thanks for this thread. I too am waiting for a title inspiration. For a while, I had one title but have moved on to another, which I’m still not satisfied with. I know it will come. For me, a title is the first thing that draws me in, along with the book cover. I too want at least one of the word to have a double meaning. I don‘t know the word yet. I’m certain it will come - I just need to not think too hard. I appreciate everyone’s ideas here though.

TWErvin2

Auror
Often authors start with a working title. That takes a little pressure off for a final title, but it does give the author a focus and something to refer to their work in progress.

Titles can come from a line in the book, or theme, or a character or some action. Often, after completing a novel, the working title will morph into something better. Or maybe the working title will stick.

Choosing a title can become a bit trickier if it is the first book in an anticipated series. The not only will the author have to come up with the title for the book, but for the series as well. Also, sort of a branding thing, often titles in a series (or trilogy) are in some way connected.

For my SF series, a word is repeated in the title followed by another different word.
For my fantasy series, a two word title, a noun.
For my LitRPG fantasy series, a single word that is tied to or describes some aspect of the book's main adventure.

If you decide to go with a publisher, often the publisher will provide a title. They may take your idea, or determine one (often in conjunction with the author) that is believed to be more on target and marketable.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A working title is ok, but there's a tech complication there. Sometimes it's easy to change the name of the project later. Sometimes it's not difficult but is tedious (renaming folders and file names individually), and in some cases the specialty software you chose doesn't allow renaming. I had to live with a working title on one of my first projects. Admittedly it's not a huge deal, but it can be an annoyance.

TWErvin2

Auror
A working title is ok, but there's a tech complication there. Sometimes it's easy to change the name of the project later. Sometimes it's not difficult but is tedious (renaming folders and file names individually), and in some cases the specialty software you chose doesn't allow renaming. I had to live with a working title on one of my first projects. Admittedly it's not a huge deal, but it can be an annoyance.
I hadn't thought about specialty software and what hurdles there might possibly be using a working title. I use MS Word. As far as renaming files, really, the only file for records that would need to be changed is the main folder which contains all of contents (version of the novel for me). In the end, what is placed on the novel's cover and title page, and possibly the top of pages, etc., is pretty easy to switch from working to final title.