• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you guys feel about publishing with a small press?

I've been looking into publishing a lot lately and I wanted to know you guy's opinion on publishing with a small press. Would recommend it? I've heard many times that self publishing isn't the best way to go (and it wouldn't be my first choice anyhow), but how do you feel about small presses. I haven't learned much about them yet and I was curious about someone else's input.

GeekDavid

Auror
My friend and editor at Otherwhere Gazette (where I write from time to time) is working on starting up a small press, I am seriously considering publishing at least some of my stuff with him.

However, it depends on the small press. I know Pat and trust him, but I don't know that I'd give the same level of trust to a stranger.

Just remember caveat emptor and check them out before signing the contract.

TWErvin2

Auror
Not all small presses are created equal. Research them before submitting to them.

Find out if they put out a quality product (covers, editing, quality of story, etc.), what the sales are of their titles (even if it's checking out a few of their titles on Amazon for sales rankings). Are they a new startup press? Have they been around a while? Things like that.

And if they accept your work and offer a contract, be very careful. Not all contracts are author friendly. If you (or a literary attorney you hire) find troubling clauses and the publisher won't negotiate/remove them...move on. Maybe this is a little off track but I said literary attorney because it seems unlikely you're thinking about the agent route. An attorney that is familiar with literary contracts is far superior to just any lawyer. Would you go to an attorney that specializes in real estate/property transactions to defend you in criminal court for an assault and battery charge?

Having a crappy publisher and/or signing a horrible contract can be (an likely will be) far worse than having no publisher at all.