• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I want to try reading again.

I have two problems though, technically 3.
First problem is just a 'me' thing, I don't know why but the quiet when reading makes me antsy. Even if I like what I'm reading and am into it enough to continue, the quietness eventually makes me nervous. It's weird because I can sit down for long periods for games/movies/shows. but book reading is odd.
Second problem I know what genres I like, but I don't know which authors I could read to help me improve what I write but still having an actual interest in the story.
Third problem is that I'd like to say 'examples' of stories that I like, but most of the stories I know are from games and/or movies. So it's kind of hard to ask non gamers for suggestions similar to x or y game series. The only thing i know for sure is that I like Fantasy and adventure (it can be 'general' fantasy, so sci fi also counts) I also have a guilty pleasure for romantic comedy but I don't think I'd like those stories without some kind of fantasy element. (even if they take place in the real world) If anything a series would be better than a 'single' book.

Have you tried audiobooks? They're not really for me. But if the quiet makes you nervous, then maybe having someone read the book to you helps.

As for what to read, I've found a few book reviewers on Youtube that have roughly similar reading interests as I do. When I need a good book, and don't know what to read, I go with their tips. I like most of them, though of course I don't always agree with their opinions.

There is a lot of choice out there. I could throw some books at you (though I don't know any romantic comedy novels...) if you want

There are some good reading background playlists on Spotify and YT. On the types of book you might be interested in - go in with a reader brain and perhaps not so much the writer brain. Try to enjoy the book for what it is. As far as inspiration for my own fantasy writing I’ve been inspired by many genres outside of fantasy, don’t overthink it.

Have you tried audiobooks? They're not really for me. But if the quiet makes you nervous, then maybe having someone read the book to you helps.

As for what to read, I've found a few book reviewers on Youtube that have roughly similar reading interests as I do. When I need a good book, and don't know what to read, I go with their tips. I like most of them, though of course I don't always agree with their opinions.

There is a lot of choice out there. I could throw some books at you (though I don't know any romantic comedy novels...) if you want
Yeah, the choice is what's holding me up, when it comes to movies, somewhat more with tv shows (even non anime ones) and especially books, even within the same genre, you have no idea what to expect. I have a similar problem some days where I want to play a game but I can't decide what style of game I want to play (platformer RPG etc) some days i feel like doing a 'dart board' gambit to decide what game to play.

As for audio books I could try it, if you have some fantasy/adventure stuff with a similar tone to like lord of the rings (as in similar settings, not strictly the tone or content) I like sci fi as well but I'm a bit more picky with that genre.

I mention romantic comedy as a guilty pleasure cause it's like, it's something I like but it's one of those things where when it's done poorly it ruins the whole thing.

Wheel of Time is probably the classic closest in tone and scope to Tolkien. It's epic fantasy in a pseudo-medieval world. Some love it, others not so much. Another classic author, which is a bit more light-hearted and easier, is Raymond E. Feist. Again the same kind of setting, but he leans more towards Sword & Sorcery than Epic fantasy.

For more modern novels, Brandon Sanderson is probably the go-to author at the moment. He has different, more original worlds than Tolkien, but his scope and epic-ness matches Tolkien.

Robin Hobb is a great author. Check out her Farseer trilogy. It's a lot more character focussed than Tolkien, though it also has the pseudo-medieval setting. It's darker than Tolkien though.

For a lighter read, I like Trudi Canavan. Her stories are less epic in scope perhaps than Tolkien, but the writing is great. There is a lot more magic in her stories as well. She probably writes what people think of when they think Fantasy novel.

If you want to sink into a heist style story in a fantasy world with flawed characters, check out Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora. It's one of those stories that reminded me about why I love Fantasy as a genre so much.

And if you want a more unknown, indie author who has a lovely writing style, then you must read Petition by Delilah Waan, which is a more asian inspired fantasy tale, focussing on magic, inequality and family.

Brandon Mulls Beyonders series is what go me into fantasy and I highly recommend it. Even though it is middle grade, I still read it at least once a year.
As for the quiet, it helps to put on gaming music in the background.

I read things I just purely enjoy, but I also read things that are good for my writers eyes (ears if I'm doing audible) even if they aren't my favorite. Since you aren't sure where to get started, you may consider starting with some very highly rated classics in a genre you don't hate, just to break back into the habit. That way, if you don't love it, at least you're exposing yourself to expert storytelling and sentence structure.

I can't sing the praises of audiobooks enough. I've gotten through dozens of books even though my life right now lends me very little time to sit down and read. They aren't perfect. But if it was good enough that I want to actually see the words I can pick up a cheap used copy when I'm done.