• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I Write Like...

lawrence

Troubadour
ha nice, Ghost! I knew that! :)

James Joyce wrote Ulysses I think, I've not read it but it is a landmark book in the English language, many believe. Think I'll check him out, too.

Agran Velion

Minstrel
Agatha Christie
Neil Gaiman
William Shakespeare

It is bad my crude blogpost that basically parodies "Football, beer, babes!" got William Shakespeare?

I know that the Algorithim isn't trustworthy, but it is a good confidence booster.

*randomly inputs some old fanfiction*

You write like Dan Brown!

Okay...

*inputs a chapter of my Harry Potter fanfic, in which I deliberately tried to emulate JK Rowling*

You write like JK Rowling!

Aha! Success!

*inputs what little I've written on my actual novel, which is all in Swedish but whatever, let's try it*

You write like James Fenimore Cooper!

Er... Yay?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
ha nice, Ghost! I knew that! :)

James Joyce wrote Ulysses I think, I've not read it but it is a landmark book in the English language, many believe. Think I'll check him out, too.

Ulysses is pretty interesting, but not an easy read. I've heard "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" is harder to get through, but I don't know. I think Ulysses is worth a read by any writer.

EDIT: Scratch Portrait of the Artist. I was thinking of Finnegan's Wake. That's the harder one.

Last edited:
Posted: "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! If you only knew the power of the Dark Side!"

It gave me Dan Brown.

...Yeah, this seems legit.

I also put the opening crawls from all six Star Wars movies in there. Turns out they are written in the style of... Douglas Adams.

Comes on now, that is hilarious. :D

Martinus

Scribe
This sort of thing is all in good fun, but really can't be taken seriously.

I input the first chapters of each of my published books and got the following results:

Virtual Wiles: Arthur Clarke
Prisoner of Time: Robert Louis Stevenson
The Rogue Investigations: Neil Gaiman
The Guns of Mars: Cory Doctorow
West of the Warlock: J.R.R. Tolkien

I got the guy who wrote Dracula, which actually fit with what I put in :eek: Bram Stoker
Someone put in an exract of JRR Tolkien's work and see who it come up with :bomb:

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Well yeah, this site has definitively given mw a good hour of entertainment. As to how it works - or fails to - a long time back I wrote a small piece of JavaScript that did something similar:
Traumwind - Do I write like a Pro?
What this does is compare left and right for same word usage. If I had replaced the left pane with a batch of original works by famous authors... you get the picture.

Here are my results from the site we all love:
The first two of these you can read in the Showcase section, to see how 'accurate' the results are ^^
Carl Charonson
first scene: Steven King
second scene: Chuck Palahniuk

One man, a half can of tuna, a shotgun and some animal in a bag: Chuck Palahniuk

Some longer works I'm working on
The Journeyman Rainmaker, fantasy short story with minimal magic
at the well: Neil Gaiman
ritual scene: Anne Rice
full text: Neil Gaiman

Princess Rebecca (Space Opera): H. P. Lovecraft
The Angel Angle (dark SF): Isaac Asimov

So yeah, morale booster is the right word.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
With the only piece I have with me I apparently write like Neil Gaiman. I've just started reading NG so things could be a lot worse...