• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ideas

David@2011

Scribe
I'm pretty sure we're all aware that we all get very weird and unique ideas from time to time but, how do you come up with your story ideas.

I think I’ve always told stories to myself, but only recently actually thought ‘hey maybe I could just try writing one and see how it goes’. Turns out I enjoy it very much, and maybe I could see publishing something in the future. I was also driven by many influences, including my desire to ‘experience history’ so I thought why not just write it? Then I get to experience it in a more immersive way. Another influence for me is books I’ve already read. One book in particular, a non-fantasy book was the catalyst to want to tell a particular type of story.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When I was younger (more in my RPG days), I used to get ideas watching horror movies, or strange surreal stuff. Today, I still watch them, but they don't support the idea factory much anymore. Today, I get ideas from things I watch, things I see in the culture around me, things I am just interested in. And sometimes it is still horror movies. I do enjoy religion, and dark things, so I tend to see a lot of paranormal and exorcism stuff. I am also influenced by the many things I've read before, and some of the nuggets I have taken from those. Especially world mythologies (Greek and Norse most notably), The Stories of the Bible, and authors like Cs Lewis, Robert E Howard, Moorcock, and Eddings (Tolkien too, but he's not my fav).

I also have muses (people, real or imaginary, that make me want to write), and people that I am writing for, such that, I want to produce good enough quality that they will not think it poorly done.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I get them from the idea service in Poughkeepsie. A dime a dozen. :p

But seriously, they come up to me. I don't go up to them. All I have to do is live my life and be aware when something comes strolling into my thoughts. I have an idea file with dozens of ideas for stories. They accumulate faster than I can use them.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Same place as everyone else. Everywhere. Music, K-pop videos (worked out an entire phase of a series on the juice from one video), books, the Collective Unconscious. The truth is, none of us really knows. We just hope we can keep up.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
For me it is often two half thoughts/ideas running around inside my mind screaming "look at me!". When I do pay attention I have to make them fit together...

I find that people generally just leave them lying by the side of the road, a bit like stray kittens. If you pick them up and cuddle them, they can grow to become ferocious lions.

Or something like that. Like everyone else, I get them everywhere. Some I write down, others just keep bouncing around in my head until they collide with another idea and form a story. Currently I'm writing a story that started with an idea I got when I misread the sentence "a knight or heroine" as "a knight on heroin".

It's things like that. Interesting phrases, weird sentences, pictures, landscapes, movies or books where I think "I can do that better" or where I think "I wish I could do that."

A particular problem I have is that as I write more story ideas tend to come up. With each novel I get ideas for at least 2 more. Which makes writing all my story ideas an exponential problem. I need more life-times...

Karlin

Troubadour
Ideas just come. If I try to analyze how or where, it's often trying to connect two things that are not related. Is a Wooden Fish related to space travel? Not yet, but it could be...

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Where do my ideas come from?

■ History books, especially those about the period between the two world wars.
■ Questions that pop into my head like "What would society be like if bisexuality rather than heterosexuality was the prevailing sexual orientation?"
■ Personal experiences of being poor and working in menial, minimum wage employment.
■ Books I've read from a variety of genres and authors.
■ Anime and cartoons.
■ Obscure or old books about various cultures and places.
■ Making lists of things I love and hate about certain books and TV shows.
■ People I encounter.
■ Political propaganda.
■ Random pictures.
■ Dreams and nightmares, usually the nightmares as they are the ones I remember when I wake up.
■ Old movies.