• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Interesting story or rather just historical background?

Amanita

Maester
Many of you probably now about my current story where the main character has to get out of her city, accept her magic and so on.
What I'm going to ask you about here isn't the same story but one set about 150 years earlier. It has come up as historical background within that other story, but I've been playing with the idea of making a story of it's own out of it. Now I'd like you to tell me, if that might work or if it's better to let this stay historical background.

It's the story of three of the most powerful and influential elemental magicians of my world's history and it would probably be a trilogy.
The first book features the three characters while they're young and full of hopes and dreams. It would be a relatively light mixture of fantastical adventure story and romance. There are signs that there might be trouble brewing between the country of the three and the neighbouring country but it's only in the background.
In the second book the two countries are at war and one of the main characters is in the middle of it, the second one helping it, while the third opposes the war.
There are moral reasons for the main characters' country to fight the other one, but they aren't the only ones and the "heroes'" country does fight as dirty as the other one. The third character tries to remind the others of their morals first, but later realises that there's no chance and tries to control damage as much as possible.
In the third book, they've won their war and have to deal with the after math. Many buildung have to be rebuilt, land has to be made usable for farming once again and there still are smaller violent conflicts and the characters have to deal with the effects of the war on themselves.

Well, that's the shortest possible version of it all. Do you think someone might be interested in reading this? I'm especially worried about the very different tones of the first story and the other two. And it might be painful to read about what their hopes and dreams have turned to later.

myrddin173

Maester
I do not believe it is so much whether someone would be interested in reading it but rather if you want to write it. If you want to do it, if you do not there is no point in doing so. Personally I enjoy when authors return to worlds for a new series, exploring things only mentioned before. I think it would be interesting to see the three magicians as people after seeing them as historical figures in your first series.