• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is this a bad way to write characters?

Basically when I'm coming up with a new character, usually the idea for said character comes to me as like a 'baseline' ya know, like, their DNA with not much fleshed out.
In order to flesh them out, I often take a small 'piece' of myself (never enough to be considered self inserting) and then like, applying certain tropes to it. (I personally feel every trope can be useful/done well)

If I don't take a small piece of myself, usually it's someone I know (like my mom/dad, family friends etc) but even then I put an original spin on it. Or perhaps a character in a game/movie I really like.

You'd be surprised how often the characters come out as 'like me but like, obviously NOT like me' especially female characters. Even when I'm writing a 'normal' human in the regular ass world. typically the 'one' thing i have in common (it's usually something like 'gets distracted easily' or 'likes video games a bit too much' ) is about the only relatable thing I have with the character.

I do make an effort to only take one or two things though, or if it's something like 'they're super meticulous like me' I try to make them meticulous about something that makes sense for them, if that makes sense?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
There is no wrong way to create characters, or to write in general - unless that way leads to not writing at all. If this method is working for you, then carry on.

I do something a bit similar, only a couple decades of experience removed, but that I still am aware of what parts of me go into each character, and to recognize what parts I don't want to use, or at least to not use for a character in particular, should tell you that not only is it an effective technique, it's also pretty common. You're doing great. Keep at it.

I don’t think there is a good or bad, right or wrong way to come up with characters. Haruki Murakami basically wrote himself in every male character he created and he has done pretty well as an author.

In terms of coming up with character traits and storylines based on the character’s personality I think it’s worth thinking carefully about avoiding tokenism and stereotypes.

And if your aim is to appeal to a wider audience, then your character is going to be more appealing when they are compelling to read about - which I imagine is largely the crux of the problem!

There is no wrong way to create characters, or to write in general - unless that way leads to not writing at all. If this method is working for you, then carry on.

I do something a bit similar, only a couple decades of experience removed, but that I still am aware of what parts of me go into each character, and to recognize what parts I don't want to use, or at least to not use for a character in particular, should tell you that not only is it an effective technique, it's also pretty common. You're doing great. Keep at it.
I guess I'm more asking cause I feel like I'm being lazy sometimes. Particularly if I'm writing say, a parody of something, a lot of the characters are 'on the nose' parodies of what I'm poking fun at. (Rune factory fans would recognize a lot of story notes/beats that often happen in Rune factory)
I know sometimes being lazy is a good move, at least for 'minor' characters who only appear in like one scene.

What I like to do with this technique, is use a part of myself that I've already found a 'solution' for in my own life, but create a problem for that character to solve/grow as a character from. Most of the time their answer isn't the same as mine (due to how different they are) but it often feels like it makes sense.

Like how in my current project the female lead is too 'free spirited' to focus down on any given task. So I created the male lead to be a 'rival' for her to learn to grow and overcome that flaw. (and she eventually falls in love with him but that's besides the point) Same way with how the male lead is too focused on minor details to notice the big picture, the female lead pretty much exists to nudge him in the right direction. (although with her it's much less a gentle nudge and more like a mother lion throwing it's cub off a cliff)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
For me, every character comes from me. What parts? Well, that depends on what the story needs. And I mix things in with things/people I observe from living life.

There's no right or wrong way to go about writing. You just have to find your way of doing it that works.

In a lot of ways, it's like writing in general. There's tons of books on how a specific author goes about creating a story/book. I've read more than a few. None of them are exactly the same. None of them are right or wrong. It's just the way that specific author does things. It doesn't have to be the way everyone else does it. Because it's not. We all have to find our own way to THE END.

And right now you're finding yours. Some of what you do will be similar to what I do and what others do. Some of it will be completely different and unique. All that matters is it works for you and keeps you writing till the story is done.

Rexenm

Inkling
I write a character as if they are black at first, with their inflections being white. When I read however, they take on a life of their own. I often imagine my family as characters, but friends not so much. There is also the matter of comprehension, where it is better to read fast or slow, but not really anything in between.

For me it's all about what the story needs. My stories tend to be both plot and character driven so if the plot needs a character to be X, that's what I do. Similarly, if a character needs the plot to do Y... that's also what I do.

What I never do is invent characters for no specific purpose and give them random characteristics. They will only take my plot down a rabbit hole.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I guess I'm more asking cause I feel like I'm being lazy sometimes. Particularly if I'm writing say, a parody of something, a lot of the characters are 'on the nose' parodies of what I'm poking fun at. (Rune factory fans would recognize a lot of story notes/beats that often happen in Rune factory)
I know sometimes being lazy is a good move, at least for 'minor' characters who only appear in like one scene.

What I like to do with this technique, is use a part of myself that I've already found a 'solution' for in my own life, but create a problem for that character to solve/grow as a character from. Most of the time their answer isn't the same as mine (due to how different they are) but it often feels like it makes sense.

Like how in my current project the female lead is too 'free spirited' to focus down on any given task. So I created the male lead to be a 'rival' for her to learn to grow and overcome that flaw. (and she eventually falls in love with him but that's besides the point) Same way with how the male lead is too focused on minor details to notice the big picture, the female lead pretty much exists to nudge him in the right direction. (although with her it's much less a gentle nudge and more like a mother lion throwing it's cub off a cliff)
While there is such a thing as lazy writing, most writers don't actually rely on it to get to The End. For most of us, this is hard work, and most of us will from time to time get tired and take the easy solution, rather than the elegant one. I don't think that's what you're describing.

The second bolded part I do have some concerns about, because this issue with MMC-centric FMC's is that it seems to be our default setting. Drop in a male character of any attractiveness and suddenly her character arc goes to support his. It's so done and over-done that there are multiple tropes about it, and it does a major disservice to the characters and to our readers.

So, some homework. Most writers these days fall into tropes like this because they're the default setting on our storytelling and we just cruise past without questions. That's got to stop. So, I'm going to drop a couple of sources for you to look over, and you tell me why this sort of story arc is detrimental to your readers. Then it's time to think about how you can flip expectations and reach beyond the common narrative.

TV Tropes
The Mary Sue
Just these two to start. Between them they represent a warren of rabbit holes and much of the current thought on how stories work and how we can change them.

tumblr_njx3cvL9Oc1r2j1gfo7_1280.jpg

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Just write the shit. If you have to think about lazy...

"Lazy" is never good, what's best for the story is. If it's what's best for the story, it isn't lazy.

Just write the shit.

While there is such a thing as lazy writing, most writers don't actually rely on it to get to The End. For most of us, this is hard work, and most of us will from time to time get tired and take the easy solution, rather than the elegant one. I don't think that's what you're describing.

The second bolded part I do have some concerns about, because this issue with MMC-centric FMC's is that it seems to be our default setting. Drop in a male character of any attractiveness and suddenly her character arc goes to support his. It's so done and over-done that there are multiple tropes about it, and it does a major disservice to the characters and to our readers.

So, some homework. Most writers these days fall into tropes like this because they're the default setting on our storytelling and we just cruise past without questions. That's got to stop. So, I'm going to drop a couple of sources for you to look over, and you tell me why this sort of story arc is detrimental to your readers. Then it's time to think about how you can flip expectations and reach beyond the common narrative.

TV Tropes
The Mary Sue
Just these two to start. Between them they represent a warren of rabbit holes and much of the current thought on how stories work and how we can change them.

View attachment 3595
I more mean the baseline idea for both characters was that they run counter to eachother. (ex traditionalist vs opportunist) And that part of the plot is them overcoming the 'chasm' between them. I wouldn't say they 'purely' exist for only that reason, but that does serve as the fuel for their rivalry at least.
What I'm attempting to accomplish is write these characters as good/entertaining characters with an otherwise simple romantic comedy plot.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Isn't there a little of ourselves in all our characters? Can that be avoided? I think not.

Following some of your posts, what I see is one beginning and starting dig in to see what this whole writing stuff is all about. An approach of I have a character and these are their traits is superficial. Character A sucks on lollipops, and character B is always moody. That may feel like good characterization, but it lacks the depth of character that most characters need. It may fit some types of fiction, but I suspect you will grow past that in character design in time.

Characters are not defined by traits. They are defined by their struggles and their growth. For characters to come alive off the page they need more than quirks. They need motivations, obstacles and goals. Without them, they don't rise above being a bunch of gimmicks to keep them 'interesting'.

This is a character Bio:

Character: Bob
Height: 6'
Weight: 180lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Characteristics: Smart, Clever, always has a joke. Scar over left eye. Keeps a switch blade in his pocket. Enjoys dealing with angry people. Likes to compare things to his mother.

Another way to approach him is through Goals and Motivations.

BobExternallyInternally
GoalTo find the thug the killed his fatherWants to be Good Guy
MotivationTo Avenge his Death and right the wrong.To make his mother proud of him
Conflict (What prevents him)The MobHe cant be both good and achieve his goal.

In the writing of this, we may find out Bob is good at telling jokes, but we will get it when a Thug wont talk and he has to cross the line, and it eats him up inside.

At the end, what will matter most? That he had a Joke handy all the time, or that he wrestled with internal and external stuff and had to find a way through.

Just an aside question, are you one of our Male Site-izens?

Remember you can write about characters that come and go in the story, other than main characters
perhaps the main characters meet someone who is very interesting although they need to leave him or her behind, creating complex feelings of the characters and the way the interact including who they might meet later on in the novel

Isn't there a little of ourselves in all our characters? Can that be avoided? I think not.

Following some of your posts, what I see is one beginning and starting dig in to see what this whole writing stuff is all about. An approach of I have a character and these are their traits is superficial. Character A sucks on lollipops, and character B is always moody. That may feel like good characterization, but it lacks the depth of character that most characters need. It may fit some types of fiction, but I suspect you will grow past that in character design in time.

Characters are not defined by traits. They are defined by their struggles and their growth. For characters to come alive off the page they need more than quirks. They need motivations, obstacles and goals. Without them, they don't rise above being a bunch of gimmicks to keep them 'interesting'.

This is a character Bio:

Character: Bob
Height: 6'
Weight: 180lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Characteristics: Smart, Clever, always has a joke. Scar over left eye. Keeps a switch blade in his pocket. Enjoys dealing with angry people. Likes to compare things to his mother.

Another way to approach him is through Goals and Motivations.

BobExternallyInternally
GoalTo find the thug the killed his fatherWants to be Good Guy
MotivationTo Avenge his Death and right the wrong.To make his mother proud of him
Conflict (What prevents him)The MobHe cant be both good and achieve his goal.

In the writing of this, we may find out Bob is good at telling jokes, but we will get it when a Thug wont talk and he has to cross the line, and it eats him up inside.

At the end, what will matter most? That he had a Joke handy all the time, or that he wrestled with internal and external stuff and had to find a way through.

Just an aside question, are you one of our Male Site-izens?
Ye I'm a guy although what I've always found odd is my female characters seem 'better' (as in better written or to be more explicit more 'natural' to write, not better at what they do) than my male ones, it might be because I want the females to be more interesting/engaging even though I want that for the guys I write also. I also find myself 'defaulting' to like, archetypes, particularly ones that I find entertaining or/could tolerate being around. But I also notice that I'm at least attempting to make every character different from the last.

Like say that I wrote two different moustache twirling villains, the trope in question would be the 'basis' and the actual character may have similar personality. But their motivations/struggles etc

What I really like to do, is take what I like from a character in a story (any media) and go 'what if x or y was different' and usually by the time I'm done tweaking I have a wholly different character, but with similar superficial traits (like being a smart ass to authorities or something)