• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is working on two projects better?

Addison

Auror
I've found that working on other projects does help. If I work too long on one project I fall into a rut and lose my edge. So working on two or three projects of varying lengths can help keep thoughts and perspectives on individual stories clear and sharp. I also suggest dabbling in other genres. I'm working on some crime stories, a horror, a cute sci-fi and I'm even trying a science-fantasy. HUGE brain workout.

Saigonnus

Auror
When I have time to work, I work on two or three at any given time, and usually in different genres; just like Addison. Presently I have been working on a short story involving a magical cat, a sci-fi story based around a colony on a distant planet and I just finished a blurb yesterday about a heroic orc and his fate I submitted to the weekly challenge. I actually found the time to do a bit of writing yesterday. :p

Waz

Scribe
The all-important question is "Are you still making progress on your 1st WIP?" It's fine to temporarily jump to another project and may even be best if you have a specific scene you're itching to write. However, if switching becomes a habit and stories never get finished, then the advice is just keep plowing on your current WIP. If you have a few bad days where everything you write is junk, don't worry, you can fix it in the second draft.