• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

John Falstaff

MineOwnKing

Maester
I've been trying to wrap my head around Falstaff.
In almost one small way or another I can identify with all of Shakespeare's characters except Falstaff.
I'm even a liberal Democrat and I still don't get it.
I'm not entertained or amused, I'm not sad or reflective.
I just simply don't get it.
Is it a cultural difference because I don't live in the UK?
I love Shakespeare's plays, I love the depth of Hamlet, Richard II, Titus....etc..etc.., but I find nothing of what Falstaff says to be deep, meaningful, or even worth remembering.
I want desperately to see what other people find so engaging and genius about him. But I'm not feeling it.

:(

MineOwnKing

Maester
Perhaps it was written more for the royalty as a cautionary biography? Something like, " you see, you see, we trusted a commoner and he tried to bring us down into the mud."
Or is Falstaff suppose to embody the immature faults of the prince?

MineOwnKing

Maester
The more that I read, the more I am amazed at the depths of Sir Jack's depravity. Just when I think the blade of his own villainous words are set to stab him, he thumbs his nose and talks his way out of harm by spouting even more bold and vicious words. There is a genius to that, that I had not previously considered. I am beginning to see it now, yet his character is somewhat tiresome.
His self-defeating ways trample his health, and for such little reward. He does not even stroke his own vanity. Perhaps he has become mad from guilt. Perhaps he represents England itself, yearning for new leadership?
Such a polar opposite of Richard II, clean madness vs. filthy madness.

MineOwnKing

Maester
I think perhaps Prince Hal must reject all of the slovenly qualities that make up Falstaff in order to become King. That's the best I can interpret it. Yet how can a King rule effectively without being Machiavellian? One would have to be seen to be as perfect like Prince Hal is , while behind the scenes, tapping into all that is represented by Falstaff to maintain power. Seems a simple concept and yet presented in such a complex manner.
I can see the beauty and the dry humor in the lines of Falstaff now. Reading Henry IV is like solving a puzzle. I still like Richard II better.
Thanks for all the help.