• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kill this Thread

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
So what's up with these challenges below, huh? Are people finishing their stories? I have a challenge. If you haven't finished your story in a challenge, go finish it. Challenging!

I don't know. Cards on the table, I was expecting lots of dropouts for the Character thread, but I'm getting optimistic it won't be as bad as I was afraid of for a while there. What do you think, Phil? Is the Character challenge worth repeating?

I've got to focus my writing on something for a day or two, but then I'll work on the MFMA fights. I'm still confused as to whether Vollifer v. Bazil was rerolled or not, but Mordile will be fun.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah I don't know what's going on with the tournament yet. I'm just waiting for a PM to do something.

I think the character challenge was fun and gave me an idea (although not the same one) for another future story that I'm going to lock in my "future story chest" and use later. I think it would be useful if people actually do it.

I personally always post before a deadline even if my entry sucks. Just how I roll.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Yeah I don't know what's going on with the tournament yet. I'm just waiting for a PM to do something.
I sent a PM!

But all you need to do is copy-paste your Bazil vs. Vollifer fight to a new post. I tried moving the post because I'm a mod and I can, but because of the post date it ends up on top of the intro post, which is stupid.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I was totally confused with that PM. I thought it was just one of those "heads up" kind of things. I guess I should read better. Ok, copy and pasting now.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm going to start joining challenges once I see at least 4 other people join. It's not against anyone, but I want to at least have it be a challenge and not just me and one other person posting.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm going to start joining challenges once I see at least 4 other people join. It's not against anyone, but I want to at least have it be a challenge and not just me and one other person posting.

If everyone thinks that way, bad things will happen.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Well, I think that way, because I always enter challenges and no one finishes them. So that's my own personal rule. Maybe I'm just bitter about the challenges recently. In any case, I still like them so I'll probably do them even if no one else enters. Just to improve my own writing.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I agree. Challenges used to be good a couple months ago, but now they're kinda watered down, wonder why that is? Where'd all our regulars go? Are people leaving MS?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I agree. Challenges used to be good a couple months ago, but now they're kinda watered down, wonder why that is? Where'd all our regulars go? Are people leaving MS?

A few of the really chatty ones have pulled back. The back-and-forth builds excitement, and the energy brings people on board and builds up the quality. With those people having pulled back, and a little bit of overkill with the challenges all at once, the Challenges forum has momentarily dropped in its energy levels. Also, Reaver's had too long of a timeline, and I think the MFMA did too. But Mythic Scribes is actually gaining people rapidly right now because of the Article Team.

Speaking of challenges, I'm expecting your Character story to be awesome and on time, anihow.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Personally, I like the Challenges no matter how many there are, but that's just me. Maybe it's a bit overwhelming for others to decide if they want to do one if there are so many. But I think that should be part of the fun of it. Just find the one you like and go for it.

In other news, anyone working on anything at the moment you want to discuss here in the friendly Kill this Thread thread?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
In other news, anyone working on anything at the moment you want to discuss here in the friendly Kill this Thread thread?

I'm still in need of a scene to establish the starting point for my MC's relationship. I've got ideas for turbulence and turmoil later on, but I'm having a hard time trying to get it grounded.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Your doing your part to make it awesome.

I'm enjoying your challenge... and spending way more time on it than I've ever spent on a challenge. (Other than my 19-post entry for Reaver, which was mapped on paper first, challenges typically take me 30-90 minutes from idea to post.)

I think in some ways it has the same problem that the showcase thread has. It became more popular and then there were too many threads in too little time, and not enough people willing to critique/enter. Also, for many people challenges are only something they can do every once in a while because they become very busy for periods of time. Maybe if you guys (the challenge regulars) came together and decided on one really good challenge to put forward, like the MFMA or the Legendary Sidekick Trigger, it would get better response. Just an idea. Also, the Shenokan City challenge is cool, kind of like a throwback Thieve's World type of thing.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Shenoka went from Trigger type to a "post-if-you-want-to" type (like this one, or just about any of Phil's, but with a plot).

Anihow, I don't know if this is going as you planned it, but it's working. I think this tops all of my challenges combined.