• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Location, location, location

The setting is the real world, so obvious provisions are set in place so that the story does not contradict actual events. The basic idea in terms of structure is that magic is real and that the Americas are dominated by clans and lack any sort of true governance. There's obviously more to it than that, but that should get the point across right now.

My initial plan was to set the start of the story in the area between the Nashua and Concord rivers, southwest of Lowell, Massachusetts. Here there are four main clans struggling for control over an ever dwindling populace. The problem is, people visit this area regularly in real life and all my hexing and what-not can't explain that away. I've tried spacing them out, i.e. distancing properties, but that only really stretches the issue.

I've considered relocating to 1) upstate New York, because it captures the muddy New England vibe I'm going for, and 2) Hinsdale County, Colorado, for its relative seclusion, although it would so dramatically alter the story that I'd have to start from scratch. Thoughts?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Arthur Conan Doyle used real world locations for some places in The Hound of the Baskervilles. He simply multiplied the distances by five. No one seems to care that his "real world" doesn't match the real "real world"... Being much closer together means you can have a nice afternoon walking around the countryside visiting the Tor and the Lonely Farm etc.
If you are set on using the world as it is, then you have to accept the limitations that brings along with it.
Personally I'd be tempted to use real world geography and then play fast and loose with the names and exact locations of places, sort of how HP Lovecraft did with his version "New England". Everyone knows where Arkham et al are but can't point to them on a map of Massachusetts.

Google Earth and streetview are wonderful for seeing areas you've never been to before/ or just taking interesting routes.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm not understanding the problem here. You have a diminishing population. Simply diminish it sufficiently to make your clans isolated.

That's so simple, I've got to be overlooking something.

But I do agree with X Equistris: when dealing with real world, ideally it should be someplace you know well. Failing that, Google Earth it is. To which I would add that historical maps can be handy, if your setting has it in some other era or reality. Massachusetts in the 18thc looked very different than it does today; sometimes modern knowledge can actually lead you astray.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
If you set up close to a body of water there will always be many people. All major human populations are built near water. You would need to look at a map and find an area away from all surface water and have your characters use wells. A good way to start is look at an image of the U.S. taken at night. Wherever is dark will be a good place to start. You will see that the Eastern half of the country has far more people than the West. Another option is to look for natural features that limit human populations, deserts, forests, mountains, etc. Hope this helps.
712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg