• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magical Glass Sculptures

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Hookahs were used for herb mixtures long before the modern times.

Maybe a magical one could impart fire breath or ice breath to the user of said hookah. They breathe in the mist and voila! Dragon's breath

I'm not too worried yet about the effects of using it. I'm more concerned with whether it can be used in any way without making people think of drugs because that is probably the absolute biggest turn off for so many readers.

It's the mist that's magical, and I was thinking, for instance, of having regular food and other objects sort of pickling in the mist you breath instead of "drug-ish" herbs. But I'm worried that, so long as people are breathing in magical mist from a pipe, there's no safe way of using it. Take out the pipe and that leaves me with . . . what? Magical pickling?

Saigonnus

Auror
Probably not, I think that it is too ingrained in society as a device used for drugs. It was conceived of as a way to smoke and really has no other purpose.

Perhaps the dregs of society uses it, like addicts. Give it some negative effects and you'll send the right message to those readers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurence

Inkling
They're obviously trick vials. The user is meant to believe that to release their power he or she must throw them to the floor, shattering them. Upon doing this, they instead pass straight through the floor, leaving feint ripples in the stone.

It's not very effective...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
This is where I'm at:

You've got your glass container full of magic mist. You soak something in the mist and it breaks down into something closer to a your typical potion. Since you drink it, instead of inhale it, I think it should be okay.

But, what would you soak in the mist to make a potion?

Saigonnus

Auror
This is where alchemy comes in. Red dragon scales does this, brimstone does that, wellberries make a healing potion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk