• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

MC vs PoV

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
One thing I considered was splitting the novel up into two stories, but in one volume. First the MC and the PoV is the same and his story plays out as normal. Then as his story ends the new MC enters and her story begins - but the PoV stays where it's been all the time. I've got a feeling this may not be such a good idea though. It kind of feels as if when the story ends the book should end - it shouldn't begin a new different story. Any thoughts on this?
Why do you feel the need to keep the first POV constant into the second story when the focus on character changes?

That's the key, in my opinion. Like with Shawshank we talked about before, there's a good reason the POV isn't Andy. What's your reasoning?

Once we understand the why, we can give you better opinions.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Why do you feel the need to keep the first POV constant into the second story when the focus on character changes?

I'm not sure there's actually a need for it, other than that I spotted it as a potential option and that it got me thinking about whether I could do it or not. It also struck me as an interesting question and I wanted to see what others thought about it, as well as what some examples of stories where it's happened might be.

One the came to mind is Sucker Punch. I'm not sure how good an example it is, as I didn't really pay all that much attention to the nuances of the story, but the character we end the story with isn't the same as the one we start with.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
It's good you're thinking about things like this and show a willingness to experiment. However, I'd warn against making choices just because they're options. Rather, make choices based off story needs.

POV is a crucially important choice. Differences in POV change the story dramatically.

*I'm aware you know this Svrtnesse. I thought it needed saying within the discussion. All the above examples have good reasons the authors presented the stories in the way they did.