• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Medieval carnivals

SeverinR

Vala
The many times I checked back, I never noticed it didn't say the whole title.
Better title then.

I do have to remember not to get to caught up in the "entertainment" that it detracts from the book.

Will have to figure out how to write the Finale' of the "Carnival" show into the end of the book. Basically, through out the book the reader will see different acts (will try to tie them to the action also) and then the fiery finale' during the final conflict of the book.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Looking for information on Medieval traveling shows/minstrels/ gypsy caravans.

Anything a traveling show might do to entertain their audiences.

I have music, and types of instruments they might use.
1. lutes, hurdy gurdy, crumhorn, flute, pixie harp, nakers drums, tabor drum,
I have fire eaters/breathers/ spinners.
I have jugglers (including fire jugglers)
1. figuring on having the MC juggle flaming batons and throw a knife at a target, without messing up the juggling.
Sword swallowers,
dancing girls, (including belly)
acrobats and jokers.
people on stilts,
Snake handler,
strong men would show off with the acrobat and juggling women.

Planning on the finale' being a fire fest of spinners, breathers, fire jugglers, and dancers.

(This is for the WIP "jugglers, Jokers, jesters, and fools"

Am I missing any good acts? (probably won't write about everything at once, but will tell of different acts in different sections of the book.)

One day at Ren Fest will give you all the info you need.

Sky Vault rocks the house.

Only Americans think the Gybos are cool, bunch of thieves is what they are.

Go to the subway in Madrid at midnight and all the Hollywood romance will be lost, guaranteed.

SeverinR

Vala
One day at Ren Fest will give you all the info you need.

Sky Vault rocks the house.

Only Americans think the Gybos are cool, bunch of thieves is what they are.

Go to the subway in Madrid at midnight and all the Hollywood romance will be lost, guaranteed.
Gypsies in Greece have no romance to them either.
(although, My first night in a Greek home with little heat (32 degrees F. outside) I gladly overpaid for a good blanket.)

SeverinR

Vala
Missed the greatest medieval entertainment demonstration possibly ever on TV.
Game of Thrones-Purple wedding. Stilts jugglers, acrobats, dwarfs, fire breathers, instrumentalists,
hoopla, fan faire on grand scale.

I know large armies couldn't remain in place a long period, how large could a medieval caravan be? I'm thinking 100 entertainers would be extreme. So thinking 50-65 people would be reasonable for a large troup.
When they needed they could break up for smaller venues and shows, and meet up again for large kingdom shows.
Maybe divide the full troup into 3 small ones that could turn a profit in small towns and poor cities.