• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mixing scenery with ambience and so on.

Does anyone like to do this as well?
I like to "Weave" scenery with ambience among other things such as themes or the way a character feels in a setting.
If a scene is relaxing, characters might feel tired from a long journey while exploring the scene.
Such as ruins where a castle was long ago.

For example I might write like so:
"After their journey through the city, they were tired. They had found their way through many alleyways, many overgrown with flowering vines where humming birds and butterflies fluttered. They eventually came to a clearing where ruins of a temple was very long ago. By that time night had set in and the starry sky was beautiful among the soft breeze that found its way into the clearing. They could see the very tall castles that towered upward that were around the clearing and the ambience of the clearing was relaxing."

This way I "Weave" the different themes together, creating a feeling of the scene and scenery.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think that's lovely. I spent too much time in Lang and Lit, and I think that though I do write in a lyrical style and my team's fictitious city is a character all on its own, at heart I'm a "the curtains are blue" writer. And in case you don't know what I mean.... This is what happens when you spend years studying critical theory and poetry. Now I write Urban Fantasy at a thriller pace and describe, like, nothing. Don't ask about exposition.
7142d702d3e6f688c0ca7196a987bf22.jpg

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If years from now, English teachers are still drawing meaning from stuff I wrote (even if I didn't write it that way), I think that will be a win.