• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythic Fantasy--Gods only?

C

Chessie

Stories all about gods sounds a bit boring, mortals meeting gods sound more interesting.
I agree, but that's just because I have different tastes. Stories mostly about gods is what everyone else out there is doing in that particular genre. I always choose the stories that are weird, having more to do with mythological creatures interacting with humans than the gods themselves.

Yeah, the gods are a big deal in mythology, but really...are they everything? No! There's so many folklore tales of banshees, pixies, sea monsters, etc that are just as interesting if not more. Sorry to say but stories about gods bore me for the simple fact that they make up 90% (rough estimate imo) of what's being sold in that genre, which is a rather small one. Why not mix it up with something unique? I have yet to see a modern story about Rusalki, for example.

They say: "give readers what they want" but I'm tired of reading about only gods, so maybe others out there are tired of it too. Just saying, then again I could fail horribly at this but it's worth a shot.

I am going to agree with Incanus - 'Just write the stuff and let others place it in a category.'
^See, that's difficult to do when you're also having to market your work as a brand. I can't just throw something out there and let anyone figure that out for me. My work represents a certain vibe, which I'm trying to place in a literary vicinity (if you will) so that readers can point to it and say "hey, that's something I read, let me check it out". A focused marketing plan is important.

Last edited by a moderator:

mt_jupiter

Dreamer
I agree, but that's just because I have different tastes. Stories mostly about gods is what everyone else out there is doing in that particular genre. I always choose the stories that are weird, having more to do with mythological creatures interacting with humans than the gods themselves.

Yeah, the gods are a big deal in mythology, but really...are they everything? No! There's so many folklore tales of banshees, pixies, sea monsters, etc that are just as interesting if not more. Sorry to say but stories about gods bore me for the simple fact that they make up 90% (rough estimate imo) of what's being sold in that genre, which is a rather small one. Why not mix it up with something unique? I have yet to see a modern story about Rusalki, for example.

They say: "give readers what they want" but I'm tired of reading about only gods, so maybe others out there are tired of it too. Just saying, then again I could fail horribly at this but it's worth a shot.

^See, that's difficult to do when you're also having to market your work as a brand. I can't just throw something out there and let anyone figure that out for me. My work represents a certain vibe, which I'm trying to place in a literary vicinity (if you will) so that readers can point to it and say "hey, that's something I read, let me check it out". A focused marketing plan is important.
Weird mythical fiction..I can imagine Lovecraft focusing only on his pantheon of old evil gods and their battles with an advanced alien species? Anyway like the sound of weird mythical fiction.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Mythopoet

Auror

Huh, really? Where is all this fantasy dealing primarily with gods? I've always found 99% of fantasy to be totally human-centric. I would love to read stories focused on gods but don't know of any.

C

Chessie

Just type in 'mythic fantasy' in the ebooks section on Amazon and a good deal will appear. Also, some are under urban fantasy or just 'fantasy'.