• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Non-drinkers?

Its interesting that in Italy the legal age for drinking in a bar is 16 (14 if accompanied by your parents) - but it is illegal to be drunk in public - regardless of age.

I think this is a more sensible approach to drinking laws as it means that everyone is expected to moderate their drinking by law. I have never once seen a drunk in all the times I've been to Italy, unlike here in England where you see people wandering the streets with a can of extra strong lager in hand :(

This is one of the many reasons I enjoy being in Italy when I get the chance.

Xanados

Maester
Turned 18 back in Novemeber and I've not once used my newfound powers to buy alchohol at a local shop. Nope, not once.

Amanita

Maester
I'm not drinking any alcohol but I don't have a specific reason for it. I'm not drinking anything other than water, a bit of fruit juice and fruit/herbal teas either and it's not because I want to be highly ascetic or anything of that sort of things, it's just what I like.
My parents like(d) to drink beer and wine with meals but never enough to get drunk, so I believe I didn't grow up badly with this but I do feel quite uncomfortable around drunk people and I really don't get why having fun means two days in bad afterwards for many people. That's why I'm avoiding this kind of situation and therefore, I'm not a party person. For the vast majority of people my age having fun equals drinking large amounts of alcohol for some reason but I just don't get it.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
HA! I don't see a point in social drinking, because I don't love alcohol... If I'm drinking, it's at home (where bad stuff can't happen) and I'm getting hammered. That being said.... since I was 24 I have been pregnant 4 times and nursed 4 babies... so not a lot of time in there to drink. But I don't miss it. Even under normal circumstances, a bottle of vodka lasts me months... and I like it that way, thanks. While I don't see anything wrong with imbibing from time to time.... people who are habitual drinkers don't know how obnoxious and ugly they really are. See if you only get sloshed once in a while your friends tend to forgive you. :) It's funny, When I read the title of this post I thought it was relating to writing... and I usually write characters who do not drink or who do so rarely, because I am so turned off by drunks in real life.

Well opposite to common belief on this forum I'm not an alcoholic;).

Sure I enjoy beers and ales, mead (ask Reaver and Chilari), wines and champs, but I don't do spirits. Sure they send your head into a powerful spin, but they give you a god-aweful headache, leave me throwing up, and I'll be honest with you, unlike many my age I don't drink alcohol for the sake of getting as (excuse the Brit slang) rat-arsed as possible. More I appreciate the fine flavours in moderation as something of a luxury/delicacy. Also I brew homemade wine, which you effectively earn the right to drink through your hard work.

On an unrelated subject I have never touched a smoke, tobacco or otherwise:noway:. I've never found anything appealing about it. My brother is a heavy smoker which I find an awkward fact to live with.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Aidan!! It seems to me that you and I are exactly the same with our affection for fermented beverages: I also drink wine, beer and cider because I enjoy the fine flavours, the smells and even the colours, not really because I want to get hammered... also like you, I stay away from spirits (actually I hate their taste) and I think that those drinks are way more dangerous than just drinking the fermented stuff =)

I accept that the effects that the alcohol has on me are very pleasant, but you don't see me drinking something that I don't like just to feel those effects.

You brew homemade wine? Wowww!!! And beer too?

Aidan!! It seems to me that you and I are exactly the same with our affection for fermented beverages: I also drink wine, beer and cider because I enjoy the fine flavours, the smells and even the colours, not really because I want to get hammered... also like you, I stay away from spirits (actually I hate their taste) and I think that those drinks are way more dangerous than just drinking the fermented stuff =)

I accept that the effects that the alcohol has on me are very pleasant, but you don't see me drinking something that I don't like just to feel those effects.

You brew homemade wine? Wowww!!! And beer too?

Ah Sheila it seems you also appreciate the subtleties and the more refined side of enjoying drinks. Just this March I finished my first batch of wine. It actually worked. It was a blackberry and elderberry medium dry red, made from organic fruits grown in the back garden. I couldn't decide what to do with them, so I thought I would give brewing a go. Haven't tried beer yet, but compared to wine it should be easy. While its a complex process it probably isn't as tricky as some think, you just do the main fermentation and let get on in the background. And you end up with so many friends;).

Ireth

Myth Weaver
When I drink (which isn't often), it's almost always at home with my family, typically when we have a bonfire in the pit in our backyard. I've only drunk alcohol at a bar or restaurant a few times: on my 18th birthday, once on my friend's 18th birthday and once on my mom's birthday a year or two ago. I'm a rum and vodka person. I don't like wine, and I've never tried beer or whiskey.

Last year a friend and I once tried to make a version of miruvor (an alcoholic drink from LOTR) using combos of various fruit juices and three kinds of alcohol (gin, vodka and rum)... it didn't work so well. We got drunk alright, but we couldn't find a mix we really liked. We might try again this year with different ingredients. Possibly with a non-alcoholic version so we can share it with our friends in dorm and not get in trouble (my college, being Christian, has an alcohol ban).

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I really don't like the taste of alcohol. I've tried to acquire the taste for it but it's just not happening. So I only drink once in a blue moon, and the stuff I do drink tends to be sweet.