• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Obsidian for worldbuilding

d0glife

Acolyte
So i recently started a world building proyect in obsidian and it seems like it's actually a great software to make a vibrant world with deep and complex connections. What do you think?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Isnt obsidian a subscription tool? I think it is. For me thats a no.

You can do everything it can do with out it. Last time i looked it was pretty much like scrivener. And scrivener was free.

But, you know, if its what keeps you going then…

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Software doesn't make worlds, people do.

What is it about the software you find to be especially useful?

Fyri

Inkling
So i recently started a world building proyect in obsidian and it seems like it's actually a great software to make a vibrant world with deep and complex connections. What do you think?
I'm only interested if it is very cheap and lets me make quality maps.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yes, Obsidian is a writing tool, similar to scrivener and some others. It has a free version and a pay for version.

There's another thread on it somewhere. If I recall, looking into it, it makes you pay for features, and you'll have to subscribe if you go commercial.

screenshot-1.0-hero-combo.png

BrettElectric

Hey d0glife!

I also use Obsidian for worldbuilding and brainstorming for my novel! I think it's amazing.
It's a place for writing down EVERYTHING related to my book.

- Research on medieval history
- Notes on other fantasy books I have read
- Summaries of ancient literature and mythology
- Plot ideas
- Scene ideas
- Plot outlines
- Worldbuilding resources (research on geography or culture)
- Research on other languages
- Character ideas
- Resources on how to write (plot, theme, prose, character etc etc)

Because the tag, link and search functions are so good, I know I'll always be able to find those ideas again in a second.

I'm also using it as a wiki for my worldbuilding - a bit like wikipedia. So I can have a note on 'The Kingdom of Og', and inside when I mention 'King Og IV', I can have a link to a new note with all the info about that King, just like the in-text links in wikipedia. It's amazing.

I used to have a folder of word documents on my hard drive, with multiple folders inside, but it just got too difficult to navigate the folders and find anything. I'm sure there are other systems that allow you to tag and search your notes, but I certainly couldn't go back to my old system of word documents in folders.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this to encourage you that there are other aspiring fantasy writers and worldbuilders out there using Obsidian. I think it's great!

Yes, Obsidian is a writing tool, similar to scrivener and some others. It has a free version and a pay for version.

There's another thread on it somewhere. If I recall, looking into it, it makes you pay for features, and you'll have to subscribe if you go commercial.

screenshot-1.0-hero-combo.png
The desktop version looks great, but the app is lacking!

BrettElectric

I've been using it for about 3 years, and never paid for it. You only need to pay if you want the sync feature, which I don't use. And there are workarounds anyway that let you sync for free.