• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

One Piece Movie

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Don't know much about the 'One Piece' universe, but it is apparently getting a movie adaptation for western audiences next month.

The trailer looks interesting enough to where I might give it a look.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Damnit, I don't want it to be good. If it's good it'll get me hooked on One Piece. I love anime, but that one has over a thousand episodes.

One. Thousand. Episodes.

What the Hell man.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Damnit, I don't want it to be good. If it's good it'll get me hooked on One Piece. I love anime, but that one has over a thousand episodes.

One. Thousand. Episodes.

What the Hell man.
So... even binge watching would take...weeks? months?

Eh, it isn't a movie but a series, ten episodes.

I am more hyped for this show than anything else. I've only watched about 500 episodes of the anime, a small portion, heh. I stopped watching quite some time ago because I became distracted for a while and then didn't think I could get back into it. I was afraid I'd lost all sense of whatever arc I was on.

Still, Luffy was and probably remains in my top ten list of all fictional characters, ever. He annoys some people, and I honestly don't understand that. To me, he's so full of joy, exuberance, and sincere faith in his dreams while also, at times, being absolutely ferocious in defending his friends. If I could be friends with one fictional character, I'm sure Luffy nears the top of the list. He might be at the top.

The final trailer for the series dropped today, and like the others it brought some wetness to my eyes. I think this might be the best of the three trailers. [edit: For some reason, the trailer seems a lot darker in this embed, harder to see. Hmmm.]

Last edited:
Ah, a correction. It's eight episodes, not ten. I'd been viewing the Rotten Tomatoes site, and it listed ten episodes.

I just finished watching the final episode, and it really hit the spot for me. I fell into the show as easily as I fell into the original anime. The actors chosen for all the main parts did a great job. This may be the best casting ever for this kind of adaptation. Sets, camera work, costumes were great.

I'm not sure how the uninitiated will react to the show. As a fan of One Piece, I loved it, but I still noticed a few areas it could have been stronger. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 for entertainment value while admitting this is also a fan reaction and possibly biased.